PDA

View Full Version : Displaced Drag Racer's 1st Jet Boat

Chad89GT
10-17-2014, 05:24 PM
What's happening VJB... My name is Chad and I'm from Kaneohe, HI (island of Oahu). A few years ago our race track closed and left my 9 second turbo Mustang garage bound and my need for speed unfulfilled. Well I just can't wait any more so I got my hands on a '78 Tahiti project.

It's the usual 455/Berkeley setup. Not 100% sure on the model but registration lists it at 19.5'. Here's a lousy pic... I'll work on getting more soon.

The boat is a decent sized project to get my feet wet (har har). It was 90% sunk in the ocean by the previous owner and once retrieved from the beach it was left to sit for a couple of months. As you can imagine the motor was LOCKED UP! Fortunately I manage an automotive machine shop so the rebuild isn't too big of a deal. I already have the motor out and cleaned up waiting for new parts.

Here's how it came out of the boat

Tear down process

Hawaiian Salt anyone??

Sea water / oil goo

Block cleaned up and ready to machine:

While building the motor I also will be cleaning up the hull and figuring out an interior for it (it has none but a buddy has an old setup that might work). It'll also be getting a new coat of paint, possibly Cobalt Blue.

I'll post more pics as things progress. Happy to be part of the forum!

Chad

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the site Chad! Please keep us updated on the progress. And some winter time water pics will be much appreciated coming up real soon.

Gone Green
10-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Where would you run that? any fresh water lakes or river? Oh you got some weather coming your way

Chad89GT
10-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the site Chad! Please keep us updated on the progress. And some winter time water pics will be much appreciated coming up real soon.

Thanks! Not sure it'll be done that soon but I'll post pics as progress happens. (Side note, with all the projects around here we need some "working" type gifs) :yesnod:

Where would you run that? any fresh water lakes or river? Oh you got some weather coming your way

We have a couple of large bays / lagoons that are pretty flat and protected from waves. I live on one of them :)

Crossing fingers Hurricane Ana keeps off to the south! :4_6_100:

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-17-2014, 08:18 PM
X2 on the storm. I am a surfer so I usually pray for them even though I hav'nt lived on a coast in 20 years. LOL What are your plans for a cooling system for the float? Closed or open? And if she is a 19.5 Tahiti she should be labeled as a mini-day cruiser or a super mini day?? I always get this stuff wrong, Tahiti made a lot of hulls. What are your plans for exhaust and interior layout?

Chad89GT
10-17-2014, 08:56 PM
X2 on the storm. I am a surfer so I usually pray for them even though I hav'nt lived on a coast in 20 years. LOL What are your plans for a cooling system for the float? Closed or open? And if she is a 19.5 Tahiti she should be labeled as a mini-day cruiser or a super mini day?? I always get this stuff wrong, Tahiti made a lot of hulls. What are your plans for exhaust and interior layout?

Funny, I've lived here my entire life and never got into surfing much. Boogie boarding and body surfing back in small kid days, but once I discovered engines that became my passion. I have awesome childhood memories on the above bay in my dad's little ski boat with a Johnson 85hp outboard... then he went and sold it for a sailboat :bs:. With this boat I'm hoping to get my kids excited about being outside on the water instead of playing video games :blahblah:

The cooling system is currently setup for open and that's what most people run around here. I'm not thrilled with salt water running through my engine but fitting a large radiator and fans in the boat doesn't sound fun either. I'll probably install drains all over the engine and flush it thoroughly after each use.

I don't think she's a Cruiser. She looks like a Low Profile 19 (which is actually 18'7" according to the brochure I found on this site) or a Tiger. I'll get better measurements and pics up soon. Exhaust is through-hull and I'm thinking about 2 buckets and a forward-facing bench for the interior.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-18-2014, 09:18 AM
15557Nice. Here is a pic of my Sleek and my buddy Dustins super Tiger. Make sure you do a lot of research on anodes too! Great project, your kids will love it.

T8er S.
10-18-2014, 01:11 PM
:hi: cool we got members almost everywhere now, about time for an around the world meet and greet. :rooster:

Chad89GT
10-18-2014, 08:23 PM
This morning I was able to swing by my buddy's house to snap some better pics. He's storing the boat for me and we'll be working on it there too. I forgot my tape measure to get an over-all length but after looking at it I think it's a Super Tiger Bubble. Here are the pics:

Couple over-all shots of the hull:

15561 15562

The plan here is to strip the maroon & gold paint scheme, fix minor dings, remove the "rub strip" for a cleaner look, remove old fixtures and repaint

Interior:
15563 15564

We'll probably fab up a couple gunnel fuel tanks from stainless plate then figure out an interior. The old one was termite eaten and had to be tossed to prevent infestation around the house!

Bow:

Looks like some repair work may be in order here. I'd like to reinforce this so people can lay / sunbathe on the front. Looks like someone tried to sunbathe there and cracked the support beam :(

I didn't take pics but spent a couple hours today getting the exhaust logs/elbows apart. Someone used cheap hardware store studs and nuts to put them together and they were badly rusted. A torch and WD40 too care of the nuts but the elbows were corroded to the studs. Had no choice but to beat on the elbows to get them off, even with heat. One stud/nut was stainless and it came apart very easily. Guess what I'll be using in the future!

94slpz28
10-19-2014, 08:25 AM
congrats on the project. it is nice seeing more tahitis pop up around. I feel you on the need for speed thing haha. I am in the process of building a turbo'd fourth gen f-body in the form of a lq9/S481 setup :drv:

White Lightning
10-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Man I can't believe how close that hull is to my Kona!
Rob

Chad89GT
10-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Nice. Here is a pic of my Sleek and my buddy Dustins super Tiger. Make sure you do a lot of research on anodes too! Great project, your kids will love it.

That is a SWEET pic! Hopefully one day mine will be close to as nice as those! In the mean time I'm stealing your pic for motivation :)

congrats on the project. it is nice seeing more tahitis pop up around. I feel you on the need for speed thing haha. I am in the process of building a turbo'd fourth gen f-body in the form of a lq9/S481 setup

I've owned 2 LS1 4th gens (98 & 99) and like them for driver cars but my heart will always belong to the Fox chassis. Mine is a poked n stroked A4 block making 354 cubes with twin T70s.

Man I can't believe how close that hull is to my Kona!
Rob

My understanding is that the same guy who started Tahiti then sold it to Bell Industries and began back-dooring molds, supplies, etc to start the company that made the Kona.

94slpz28
10-19-2014, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Chad89GT;92190]That is a SWEET pic! Hopefully one day mine will be close to as nice as those! In the mean time I'm stealing your pic for motivation :)

My tahiti doesn't really look that good. Jason's dad is just really good at photoshop lol.

I've owned 2 LS1 4th gens (98 & 99) and like them for driver cars but my heart will always belong to the Fox chassis. Mine is a poked n stroked A4 block making 354 cubes with twin T70s.

I have had two fox bodies and i will admit i loved them. They 60' so much better than a f-body. I'm just a sucker for a ls haha

wolfie
10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Welcome to VJB Chad... I know where Kaneohe is. In fact I have a few friends from that part of the island. I hope you look past my former employment, but I used to work for Matson.

You'll find a lot of great, knowledgeable people that are willing to help.. And a few of us nice people that try to help!

Chad89GT
10-21-2014, 12:19 PM
94slpz28: I never was a fan of the 3rd/4th gen 3-link setup (they're essentially the same) for high HP applications. We built a few 500+ hp LS street cars at my last shop and the NVH from aftermarket setups was insane. No biggie for a race car but for a driver I couldn't stand it. Guess I'm getting old... LOL! What setup is going into yours?

wolfie: Thanks, and no worries about Matson... without them we wouldn't eat so they're good in my book!

94slpz28
10-23-2014, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=Chad89GT;92227]94slpz28: I never was a fan of the 3rd/4th gen 3-link setup (they're essentially the same) for high HP applications. We built a few 500+ hp LS street cars at my last shop and the NVH from aftermarket setups was insane. No biggie for a race car but for a driver I couldn't stand it. Guess I'm getting old... LOL! What setup is going into yours?

I am doing a stock bottom end LQ9 with some ported 317 heads, victor jr intake or a f.a.s.t, haven't decided on cam yet but i am doing a borg warner S481 turbo using the ON3 kit, just having someone make a different flange since the S481 is on a T6 flange. TH400 trans with a 3200 stall and ill run the stock 10 bolt for as long as possible lol. either 3.73 or some 3.90 gears. It will be a big step up from my last LS car which was just a stock bottom end ls1 with tfs215 heads,f.a.s.t 92/92 hpe-1 cam, t56 inc T56 3.73's and a 100shot.

Chad89GT
10-24-2014, 07:16 PM
94slpz28: I never was a fan of the 3rd/4th gen 3-link setup (they're essentially the same) for high HP applications. We built a few 500+ hp LS street cars at my last shop and the NVH from aftermarket setups was insane. No biggie for a race car but for a driver I couldn't stand it. Guess I'm getting old... LOL! What setup is going into yours?

I am doing a stock bottom end LQ9 with some ported 317 heads, victor jr intake or a f.a.s.t, haven't decided on cam yet but i am doing a borg warner S481 turbo using the ON3 kit, just having someone make a different flange since the S481 is on a T6 flange. TH400 trans with a 3200 stall and ill run the stock 10 bolt for as long as possible lol. either 3.73 or some 3.90 gears. It will be a big step up from my last LS car which was just a stock bottom end ls1 with tfs215 heads,f.a.s.t 92/92 hpe-1 cam, t56 inc T56 3.73's and a 100shot.

Sounds like a bad mofo! That 10 bolt will last quite a while so long as you stay out of boost! LOL!!

94slpz28
10-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a bad mofo! That 10 bolt will last quite a while so long as you stay out of boost! LOL!!

thats the problem :yesnod: