PDA

View Full Version : grey carpet under headers

sleek1979
10-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Well I decided to install new carpet in my sleek. The carpet now is black and I thought to offset it a bit I would put grey carpet in. After I ordered it I got to thinking about it a bit more, DAMN, the headers are going to stain the crap out of it. Has anyone installed grey carpet? Am I wrong or will the water that drips from the weep holes of the headers going to stain the grey carpet. I might have to send it back for some black.

78hallett
10-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Yep it will stain. I just installed new grey carpet in July and by August the weep holes from the headers stained my nice new carpet. I am going to get real good at carpet cleaning though.

sleek1979
10-15-2014, 08:08 AM
That sucks cause the grey would look nice.

White Lightning
10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
If you're getting liquid water dripping from the weep holes in your headers then you've got totally too much water being injected into them! That much water stands a chance of getting on the exhaust valves and warping them.
You need to get into the T valve and cut down the flow. I don't know about any one elses but my T valve is adjustable for flow simply by turning the lower barrel part in or out and that puts more or less spring pressure on the ball. It's got an O ring on the outside of the barrel that keeps it from leaking without being screwed all the way in. As a matter of fact, I've got mine screwed all the way in and I'm running my headers dry at the moment with 6 PSI of coolant pressure at full song.
Rob

sleek1979
10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I do have a basset T valve but I don't have any kind of a water regulator. I should get one I guess. Who sells the water valve and gauge, Im working on my boat for a winter project and I should install one. I know when I am running full throttle it blows a shit load of water out of the headers and I know that's too much.

From what I gather the water regulator goes inline between the pump and the engine and it regulates how much water pressure is actually going into the engine, is that rite?

78hallett
10-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I have a valve on my header line going to the T. I don't have water coming out the weep holes. From what I can tell its the exhaust gases that come through the weeps and seem to stain the carpet over time. It also doesn't help that my motor was tired and burning oil. Its not huge stains, just little areas of light brownish spots that clean up real easy.

T8er S.
10-16-2014, 01:35 PM
I do have a basset T valve but I don't have any kind of a water regulator. I should get one I guess. Who sells the water valve and gauge, Im working on my boat for a winter project and I should install one. I know when I am running full throttle it blows a shit load of water out of the headers and I know that's too much.

From what I gather the water regulator goes inline between the pump and the engine and it regulates how much water pressure is actually going into the engine, is that rite?

:zwhistle:

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Weher it is from water or exhaust I think you could cut some carpet patches to throw down there while you are running the boat. Then when it is show and shine time throw the throw rugs under the bow.

sleek1979
10-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Good idea.

White Lightning
10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
As I said, the T valve itself is adjustable. Just screw the long barrel farther into the T section, at least on mine it's that way. My T valve is just a generic one that I bought from an on line marine supply. As for the pressure regulator, I use a gate valve just inside the transom. A gate valve gives finer adjustments than a ball valve. I screwed a low pressure guage right into the front of my intake. I run 6 PSI @ 5,600 RPM and 170* at idle and 160 *@ full song.
Rob