PDA

View Full Version : Help NUTTZ help - urgent!

deepdishchad
07-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey all. Tried to get the boat wet today after replacing all the plugs (and of course, Utah Lake was glass) and the %^#$ engine wouldn't turn. Not bad spark plug or low battery, more like a flywheel problem. It had started in the driveway just the night before (but after the changeout of the plugs) My mechanic, Dad (who kept our old '79 going for 25 years), was there and he suspects either the starter motor's gone bad or the ring gear isn't doing it's thing. We should know more tomorrow, but I'm calling out for info now. You see, Dad sold his shop when he retired, so we don't have the equipment any more to lift the engine to dig into the flywheel case if it's more than the starter motor. Is there a shop that some of you have used around here (Wasatch Front anywhere, I'm not picky) that has enough know-how around our jet boats that I could try to get into quickly if need be? Did I mention we're supposed to head out for Powell one week from tomorrow?

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

PS - met a guy who was launching a beautiful purple vintage jet boat at Provo Marina today... said he's with Barefoot boats but I can't find anything online about Barefoot Boats. Anyone familiar with that company?

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
I cant remember, Ford, Chevy or Olds? Top mount or bottom mount starter? Can your Dad tune my float if I bring it south? Lets get it going...

Sleek Freak
07-10-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm not very close but you'd be welcome to my cherry picker etc.

deepdishchad
07-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Sorry to leave details out: 77 Tahiti, Ford 460, starter motor is toward the bottom on the starboard bow-side of the engine. Sleek, the boat's in Centerville right now, so not as far as you might think. Willard's as good of a place to test repairs as any...

Sleek Freak
07-10-2014, 10:01 PM
let me know.

H20MOFO
07-11-2014, 08:41 AM
I have a pos one here in heber you are welcome to also.....had it since I was 18 lol.
How does it turn over with no plugs.......checker should be able to test the starter.

tahoemedic
07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
you have a standard one wire starter in that boat. I just replaced mine (Thanks to Jason/Advocate) and it works great. If the starter went bad, you won't even get a clicking noise when turning the key. That is a common starter and I believe Jason still has one left over from his experiment.

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I deleted my offer for a free starter. Its an automotive, not marine. But its a 2 bolt (clockwise rotation) 460 starter. Came off of my new motor that was also open engine compartment.

deepdishchad
07-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Hey all, thanks for the responses. The good news is that it was the starter, not the flywheel. The starter teeth were munched down to almost nothing. Everything else looked really good, though, from what we could see. Finding a replacement was a bit tricky as we couldn't read the numbers on the the old one very well. Finally got the right one, put it in place, and she fired right up. Just got back from testing everything out on Utah Lake, and I'd say we're ready for Powell next weekend.

Thanks again to all for jumping in to offer help so fast. Dad was really surprised to hear of an entire group of vintage jet boat lovers from the Wasatch Front together online. And he was even a little bit open to helping tune your rig there, Advocate...

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-11-2014, 07:50 PM
http://youtu.be/JcDJak1hl4ELOL I might need it soon! I am sure your Dads skills are way better than mine on these old boats. I would love to meet and pick his brain!

H20MOFO
07-12-2014, 08:57 AM
I have never owned a ferd....well I did have a 69 mach 1 but dont tell anyone.lol
I suggest you figure out why the teeth on the starter went south....or it will probably happen again.
On my cheby I can pull the pinion gear fwd with a screwdriver to check engagement depth ect.