PDA

View Full Version : NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART....chev n SWTD guys!

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-01-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NjsEfpZmpdk

Kona Kandi
10-01-2013, 07:04 PM
It's blocked for me :(

wolfie
10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I've seen that one. The guy wasn't paying attention and crossed a roller caused by a wakemaker, turned it sideways and it threw him. I think Tim knew who he was.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-01-2013, 07:27 PM
It's blocked for me :(Is it your computer or the site? :4_12_2: If you don't like seeing a grown mans dreams sunk on the first day you don't want to see anyway. Made me tear up, now my wife is mad because I have never cried before.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
http://youtu.be/NjsEfpZmpdk Better Kona?

tahoemedic
10-01-2013, 09:17 PM
There's the reason to have a pop-off and or jetaway! His boat did the classic move as soon as he dumped the throttle. I think if he had a pop off he could have kept that boat straight instead of sinking it.

R51959
10-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Was it pump failure for the hard turn ? hope that never happens to me:biggrin:

tahoemedic
10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Was it pump failure for the hard turn ? hope that never happens to me:biggrin:

Looks more like common sense failure :4_1_72:

comerz1
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
There's the reason to have a pop-off and or jetaway! His boat did the classic move as soon as he dumped the throttle. I think if he had a pop off he could have kept that boat straight instead of sinking it.

Please explain for a newbie??! Granted mine will never see more than 65ish if I am lucky, but I like to be knowledgeable about what I am working with and need to keep the family safe!

tahoemedic
10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Please explain for a newbie??! Granted mine will never see more than 65ish if I am lucky, but I like to be knowledgeable about what I am working with and need to keep the family safe!

basically what happens when you dump the throttle, the back pressure on the pump causes a stop or reversal of the flow through the pump, in essence causing the boat to lose control. It will take a hard right or hard left depending on the forces acting on the boat. The pop-off or jet-a-way device keeps flow moving through the pump but at a lower rate allowing for the boat to be controlled during off throttle events.

David
10-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Remember your 10 speed bike that when you stopped peddling the wheel still spun? Kinda the same thing, it allows the pump to still spin as the water flows through it instead of locking up or spinning much slower if at idle...

wolfie
10-03-2013, 09:02 AM

That wouldn't have saved him. He hit the roller and turned the steering wheel, which of course turned the boat and breached it and rolled it.

comerz1
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the replies to my question. Will this be a concern for my CVX-20? Or is it more of a "drag" boat issue? Just don't want to ever put my family in harms way.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-21-2013, 01:39 PM
you can throw people out of the boat in a 20mph fishing boat. Mainly you just have to use common sence. As far as pop off valves and jetaways unless you are planning on 100mph + in the CV you should be fine. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have one on any jet but they are very expensive.

wolfie
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the replies to my question. Will this be a concern for my CVX-20? Or is it more of a "drag" boat issue? Just don't want to ever put my family in harms way.

Here's what the hull looks like on that boat. You don't have to worry about yours unless you do something really stupid.12240

comerz1
10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I wondered about the hull design. Thanks Wolfie.

I have been boating since a child, have owned several just not in a few years and never a jet. A little concerned about the differences, imagine a learning curve will exist. I like going fast but in a straight line on smooth glassy water!