PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day Present to Come

tahoemedic
09-23-2013, 10:36 PM
So my dad and I have been talking off and on about all this work I've been doing on my boat. He has this beautiful 1969 Belmont flattie sitting in his yard rotting away. Between all the car projects he has, the upkeep on the house and the fact that he lives out of town for work during the week, he has just given up on all of them, including the boat. It's painful to see my dad like this. I remember when work was just a means to get to the weekend to take the boat out and ski/party. It's gotten really bad since he has gotten over prostate cancer...it's like the list is overwhelming. So I have decided I am scaling back a bit on the big rebuild I had envisioned for my Tahiti to concentrate on going through his flattie. Needs new upholstery, all the seals for the v-drive, and have to go through the 390 Ford. Somehow I have to figure out how to fix the paint on the bottom of the hull where it flaked off after being repainted. My goal is to have this boat up and running so he can bring it to CFW for Father's Day. Will be my heartfelt gift to see him and my mom in the boat again. I will post pictures as soon as my mom sends them to me to scan.

78_Tahiti
09-24-2013, 03:56 AM
That Damon, is what Sons are brought into this world for! Our Dad's Just don't know it! High Five!

wolfie
09-24-2013, 07:33 AM
What an awesome present for him!!!! Good for you!!!! He's a luck dad. (Almost as lucky a dad as I am!!!!)

tahoemedic
09-24-2013, 09:12 PM
My dad has done a lot for me. Got me my first race car, supported me growing up and helped put me through college. Father's Day 2012 I bought him 3" Hilborn Fuel Injectors for our race car. He always gives and gives to people in need and rarely gives to himself.

tahoemedic
09-26-2013, 08:57 PM
So I've put the plan into action. I got the neighbor involved, (who also happens to be my engine builder) and sometime in the coming months, I'm gonna steal my dad's boat and take it to my uncle's to be worked on out of sight of my dad. Looks like the engine will only cost me about $500 to rebuild (I'm getting a father's day special it seems), I need to figure out a quote for the interior, then order the v-drive seals, and fix the paint on the bottom and it will be all done! Talked to my dad again tonight about the boat and he was really down. Kept saying how it will make a good boat for someone to fix up someday. Damn near brought tears to my eyes hearing him say that, knowing how much he loves that boat.

"THE ADVOCATE"
09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
It will be tough to keep a 5 month secret! Just stay strong man!!! Good job

laddiepowell
09-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I know im a long way away but I have an upholstery sewing mashene and a really good friend with 20 yrs experience need all the guided practice I can get

tahoemedic
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I know im a long way away but I have an upholstery sewing mashene and a really good friend with 20 yrs experience need all the guided practice I can get

we definitely need to talk then...

laddiepowell
09-27-2013, 08:34 PM
we definitely need to talk then...

any time your ready my maschene awaits pm me and I will get you my number, my dad recently had open heart surgery that got complicated he had multiple strokes during the operation he is ok not sever long term damage but he no longer can work its painfull to see him get depressed so it would be nice to help you out if I can

tahoemedic
09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
any time your ready my maschene awaits pm me and I will get you my number, my dad recently had open heart surgery that got complicated he had multiple strokes during the operation he is ok not sever long term damage but he no longer can work its painfull to see him get depressed so it would be nice to help you out if I can

I make trips to AZ every month to help out with my best friend (my old neighbor from Mesa) with her house since her family ignores her. Don't let your dad give up on trying to work...Even though he may not be able to do the intricate things right now, keep him active and engaged. That will surprise you how well he will progress.

laddiepowell
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
post up some pics of the interior if the skins are still good enough to get a decent pattern you could just ship to me with the new material or just bring it all to me lol boats make good moving traylors hint hint.... my dad was a real estate developer and his short term memory was what was affected the most

tahoemedic
09-27-2013, 09:03 PM
the skins are in good shape so I can bring those with me. I was involved in a head on collision on my way home to tahoe from north of san fran. A guy in a stolen truck, high on drugs and alcohol crossed the centerline and hit me and 5 other cars. My truck too the majority of the impact. After I assisted 3 injured drivers (had one flown out), I was the only paramedic on scene, I realized I had a very serious concussion. It lasted for over 5 weeks. Since then, my fear of heights has increased, balance isn't quite as good as it used to be, and my short term memory is permanently damaged.

wolfie
09-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Dang Laddie!!! Might have to talk to you about the SWTD unless Jill decides to do it.

laddiepowell
09-28-2013, 11:50 AM
I did these solo without my buddy not the best but there wasn't anything left to pattern off I guess they came out ok for my first try lol

tahoemedic
09-28-2013, 11:59 AM
looks pretty good to me. My Dad's seats are easy in that they are straight backs. You'll have no problem copying them. Really the only thing wrong is some of the piping is loose and the birds pecked holes in the tops of the seats.

tahoemedic
09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Somehow my Dad got wind of what I was going to do. Our big race trailer finally sold and he is feeling real good. I spoke with him today and was talkin about how good my cruiser came out and the plans. He starts in on how he is going to use our spare drag motor to put in his Belmont this winter. I had to check my ears. All of a sudden he's excited about having this boat done. Laddie, we are definitely on for the seats! Looks like my dad is puting in the 525 big block with Hilborn 2-1/2" Injectors to run gas. I asked him why he just doesn't keep the 390 since he's not gonna want to go faster than 60? He said, "Bullshit, I'm gonna go at least 90. if your mom doesn't like it, she can stay on the beach!" I love my dad!

I informed him that I just bought a 68 Sanger today. He was surprised but got real excited after I told him about it and my plans.

78_Tahiti
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
good to hear your ok after the accident Damon! Damn Son, you have luck like me!

tahoemedic
09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
good to hear your ok after the accident Damon! Damn Son, you have luck like me!

Yeah, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have luck at all

tahoemedic
10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Talked with dad again today while he was working. He's really getting excited for this build up. He ordered a tunnel ram and decided to keep the injectors as spares for the race car. He graciously donated me a 427 Tall Deck for my boat. Now all I need are pistons and long rods, intake, and carb/carbs.

old rigger
10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Very cool thread.

Lost my dad in '99 the day after we got back from the Turlock Model A swap meet. He, my son and I just spent 3 days hunting parts for my then project, a '29 roadster pickup. Got home, dad went on to his place, next morning he went on his hike (he lived out in the boonies) and had a heart attack. He just turned 63.

I'd give anything I own to have 5 more minutes with him so when I see threads like this I tend to really, really like them.

tahoemedic
10-03-2013, 08:15 PM
yeah was talking to dad today and finally stopped the macho crap and just told him that I miss how we spent all the times at the lake together and that getting this boat while fixing up his would be awesome. We can take both of ours to different flat bottom events and share our time together. Course we'd let mom come to. lol

wolfie
10-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Very cool thread.

Lost my dad in '99 the day after we got back from the Turlock Model A swap meet. He, my son and I just spent 3 days hunting parts for my then project, a '29 roadster pickup. Got home, dad went on to his place, next morning he went on his hike (he lived out in the boonies) and had a heart attack. He just turned 63.

I'd give anything I own to have 5 more minutes with him so when I see threads like this I tend to really, really like them.

I can understand that! I lost my pops in '01. I still miss him. It was before I got back into boating. He would have loved the one I just picked up!!!