PDA

View Full Version : New distributor... need new cam???

roblock
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
So my idea of putting on the old distributor gear on the reman dizzy failed... the roll pin holes do not quite align. There is some wear on the old distributor gear, and according to Cardone that means I MUST use a new cam.

Some of you have years of experience with this... What is the truth boys? I have a 34 year old engine with the original cam.

newtojets
06-15-2013, 08:20 PM
ok i have been in the bis my whole life. now if it was a race car or a customer car yah, if i owned it and it was to make it work and just for my use i would get a round file out or a small drill bit to make it fit.

Now this is just what i would do, and may not be the opinion of everyone else.

Hope that helps! good luck!

roblock
06-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Crossed my mind to drill it out man, it crossed my mind....

Still would like to hear opinions, but I decided rather quickly to not chance it. Just put the new internals in the old dizzy and call it good. Yes, I spent $50 on $10 parts when it was said and done. Worst part is I spent about 3 solid hours polishing that new cast piece. The new mag and reluctor have a stronger field. I can feel it when spinning the shaft by hand. Not so much with the old one. So it wasn't a complete waste. I had also bought recurve springs and installed them in the new one and was ready to install except for the gear issue. Transferred all of that to the old. It will be fine. The old one isn't as worn as I thought anyway.