PDA

View Full Version : De-winterizing

deepdishchad
05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Hey all. Temps like we had this weekend are making me itchy to get out on the water. Now all I need is a good excuse!

So what things would you suggest I do to the Tahiti once I get it out of storage? I kept it on climate-controlled storage all winter, added sea foam to the tanks back in the Fall, and ran it through until I felt confident it was run through the entire engine.

Anything special I need to do before hitting the water? I think I heard something about adding grease once...

wolfie
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
I'd grease the zerk at the thrust bearing and make sure that there's oil in the bowl. Other than that, you sound like you're ready to go.
I've found that one of the worst things that happen to our boats over the winter is that the fuel we're using has a little more ethanol in it and plays havoc on the carbs and fuel pump. Make sure that everything is copacetic before heading out on the lake.
I know that the last time I ran the Eliminator I had some really bad problems with my carb. I told the guy that bought the boat to rebuild the carb. he didn't took it out, and had nothing but problems. He finally rebuilt the carb and said that it was screaming on the lake.... Dang I miss that boat!!!

deepdishchad
05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
I know about greasing the zert, but what do you mean by oil in the bowl? Is that just making sure there's oil in the engine, or do you mean something else? I changed out the oil last August and pack her away mid September, so it's fresh oil. Should I have drained the oil before putting it away?

Didn't know Ethanol could cause such havoc. There's a place that sells ethanol free gas I heard about in Orem, maybe I'll start gassing up there.

H20MOFO
05-23-2013, 08:05 AM
On my dealio I have one zerk at the thrust bearing(guess that's what its called) and on in the tail of the jet for the shaft bushing.

heyyou325
05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I don't know a lot about these jet pumps, but I've read here that some have oil, I think for the bushing, and some don't. Mine only has 2 grease fittings up by the drive line, and water lubes and keeps the bushing cool. Good thing about this site is someone will come back and correct me right away if I'm wrong, and probably expand upon what I said.

wolfie
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you have a Berkeley? If so there are two small plug at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock on the bowl.

"THE ADVOCATE"
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't know a lot about these jet pumps, but I've read here that some have oil, I think for the bushing, and some don't. Mine only has 2 grease fittings up by the drive line, and water lubes and keeps the bushing cool. Good thing about this site is someone will come back and correct me right away if I'm wrong, and probably expand upon what I said.Your right heyyou. It depends upon brand, model and what rebuilds/mods have been done to the pump over the years. The Berks came new with a zirk @ the drive line and 2 oil plugs on the bowl. Oil could be checked and added to but not easily drained and changed. The wear ring would eventually wear enough that water would get in and do the cooling vs. oil. It is fairly common to see bowls that have one of the plugs removed and a zirk added. Remove the other plug and grease until it oozes from plug port. That is how my e-pump is set up.

T8er S.
05-23-2013, 03:47 PM
10253:read:

wolfie
05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Let us know if you need any help with anything DDC. There's a bunch of us here, if we can, will help out anytime.

deepdishchad
05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a Berkeley. I know about greasing through the zerk. I had heard you attach the grease gun to the zerk, open the other plug, and pump grease until it comes out the other side. I'm still unclear as to what y'all mean about oiling the bowl, though. Would someone mind clarifying?

"THE ADVOCATE"
05-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Your bowl used to take oil. It doesn't anymore. LOL The zirk fitting was a replacement for a plug where oil was added when pump was new, that's it! If you rebuild your pump you can go back to original, but I heard its hard to get all of that grease out.

"THE ADVOCATE"
05-24-2013, 12:03 AM
My apologies to a new NUTTZ and VJB member. Sometimes I forget that most people don't understand my sarcasm and weird sense of humor. Chad, reference Taters diagram to see the guts in your pump. If you want to run up to Salt Lake I can show you exactly what we are talking about or I can come see you. I learn the most after seeing and hearing advice on here and then going down to the garage and breaking something!! LOL I type real slow, which makes me a better in person tell you who to talk to kind of guy. Or just call Jason 801884 9866. I am a very newbie myself but the NUTTZ have a backbone. Welcome to the club man! 10254

deepdishchad
05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
No problem, Advocate. Thanks for taking the time to help a noob. If I'm understanding correctly, "oiling the bowl" is how it used to be done, but since I have the zerks on my Berkeley if I fully grease those that takes care of it. Let me know if I still misunderstand.

T8er S.
05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
For got I had this pic.....
10257:spit:

wolfie
05-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Just like T8ter said, grease until it comes out the other side. Don't forget to grease the thrust bearing as well. It should be on the inside of the boat closest to the driveline. I use Lucas Oils Tacky Red.