PDA

View Full Version : Sleekcraft tunnel OB thoughts

hawaiian_jet
01-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Well I am gonna try and get this Sleekcraft tunnel from the local auto auction place. I happen to know boats like this missing motors and stuff usually only gor for 100 or so and that is wha Im aiming to pay for it as long as nobody sees it thats into boats like that.

Anyway it is an outboard hull with a right hand drive(that sucks) missing motor and I think it has a ratty interior(hard to tell with all the trash in it. Gelcoat might be able to be sanded and polished and saved pretty sure but over-all its solid.

What is a fair max to pay for this hull?

I dont do whackers really but I love tunnels and this looks like a decent project BUT if i wanted to convert to a jet and converting to left-hand drive, is it possible without butchering the back of the hull to clear a motor(TOM,where are you).Just wondering cause if its too complicated I am fine hanging a whacker back on it.

Oh yea,does anybody know what model it is offhand?

PHOENIX
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Why would the steering have to be on the other side?

"THE ADVOCATE"
01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Sleek SST. Good find! Sport model based from the Aristocrat mold.

hawaiian_jet
01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm just used to jets and thats whats comfortable to me LOL

David
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm just used to jets and thats whats comfortable to me LOL
My Glastron is on the right and I got used to it real quick... Just sayin... :biggrin:
It also had the Morse throttle control, got used to it too...
I thought both those things were gonna make me nuts... It's all good... :smile:

wolfie
01-25-2013, 01:44 AM
If you put a whacker back on it, leave it on the right side. You'll be happy you did. I know there are a lot of guys that do a whackerectomy on tunnels (Kreg for one), but I'm not sure about doing one on an SST. From what I know, they all came out of the same mold and either got a whacker hung on it or it was cut for a jet. I would think this is true for that.
If you do a whackerectomy on it and put in a jet, you should have mo problem rigging it for left hand drive. You just have to cut a new hole in the dash and the side panel for the bucket control, then add the hot foot. Shouldn't be a problem what so ever.

As far as what's a fair price for it? What ever it's worth to you unless you're planning on turning it for a profit. If that's the case, forget it because you never get you money or time back.

PHOENIX
01-25-2013, 05:25 AM
My 73 Tahiti had steering on the right. Not sure why most are on the left (my Rochelle was as so is my present sleek). As I'm sure you know, it only matters on a prop boat of which the prop torque will make the boat ride leaning one way or the other depending on rotaion. They will put the wheel on the high side so your weight will balance it out. I suppose, if it doesn't matter, they do it like a car for familiarity and comfort?

H20MOFO
01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
One bonus with doing gender reassignment on the wacker.....is that you can set the pump back where ever you want with out having to do glass work to fill in the front of the old hole. That and when you are done ...your boat will be happier.lol:rockwoot:

Sleek Freak
01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
you may hit a snag on the rear deck area and need to do some glass work. I'm not sure how much problem if any the outboard splash well area would be.

wolfie
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
My 73 Tahiti had steering on the right. Not sure why most are on the left (my Rochelle was as so is my present sleek). As I'm sure you know, it only matters on a prop boat of which the prop torque will make the boat ride leaning one way or the other depending on rotaion. They will put the wheel on the high side so your weight will balance it out. I suppose, if it doesn't matter, they do it like a car for familiarity and comfort?

Main reason for the steering on the left for jets and v-drives was due to the hot foot throttle peddle. There was no room on the right.

PHOENIX
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Main reason for the steering on the left for jets and v-drives was due to the hot foot throttle peddle. There was no room on the right.

Well, Duh!! I never thought of that...makes sense, my Tahiti was that big old tri-hull barge of a bow rider I posted pics of a few days ago. Hence, no V and lots of room for the hot foot on the right side. Actually kind of nice as the cable didn't go down the middle of the floor. It went down the side along with the shift cable.

hawaiian_jet
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
you may hit a snag on the rear deck area and need to do some glass work. I'm not sure how much problem if any the outboard splash well area would be.
Thats the main part I was wondering about,I guess I could cut it out and mold it back right but honestly if I get it I will probably put a OB back on it just to run it and see how it handles.That and I already have two jets I need to still do some work on but i figure if I can get this for less than 200 it could go in the stable for a future build. Thanks guys!:cheers:

hawaiian_jet
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Do you guys have any links to threads dealing with converting something like this to jet?

PHOENIX
01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Well, Duh!! I never thought of that...makes sense, my Tahiti was that big old tri-hull barge of a bow rider I posted pics of a few days ago. Hence, no V and lots of room for the hot foot on the right side. Actually kind of nice as the cable didn't go down the middle of the floor. It went down the side along with the shift cable.
Right hand steer 1970's 18' Tahiti trihull, 455/ Berkeley
Going under a foot bridge over the canal behind my house in Key West. (circa Christmas Day 1984)

alek72us
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Right hand steer 1970's 18' Tahiti trihull, 455/ Berkeley
Going under a foot bridge over the canal behind my house in Key West. (circa Christmas Day 1984)

this was right hand becasue there was room for right hand. alot of the jet boats didnt have the room. thats why they were left hand.

wolfie
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Do you guys have any links to threads dealing with converting something like this to jet?

PM Kreg (H2OMOFO). He had a Daytona converted from a whacker to a jet. Tom at JBP did the conversion for him.