PDA

View Full Version : Bell housing

76 marlin dolphin
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Will a 454 bell housing for a Berkley three point mount fit on a panther drive ?

"THE ADVOCATE"
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Wow...Paging Steve or Rob. Better get some pics ready! They are going to need to see what you have!

David
01-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Will a 454 bell housing for a Berkley three point mount fit on a panther drive ?
Yes... Swapped my Panther for a Berk and used the same bell housing...

78_Tahiti
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
What He said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

David
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
What He said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Proven fact... "You can teach an old dog new tricks!" I'm learning... :15_8_200v:

jetboatperformance
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Jet boat rear motor mounts (3pt) housings devide into a few basics , Long & short housings, one piece and two piece (2 piece which uses a adaptor which bolts to a rear flywheel cover device and is less common). All jet drive 3 pt bellhousing applications are "driven" by driveline overall length and the distance between the rear of the engine as well as the jet drive bearing carrier length/style. Most Panthers (some Maritechs) have an elongated Bearing carrier and use what we term a long driveline in combination with a short Jet boat 3 pt bellhousing , Berkeleys on the other hand Use long drive lines and Long Bell housings (or short D/L and short 7" housings) Please feel free to call if questions Tom

David
01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes... Swapped my Panther for a Berk and used the same bell housing...

Jet boat rear motor mounts (3pt) housings devide into a few basics , Long & short housings, one piece and two piece (2 piece which uses a adaptor which bolts to a rear flywheel cover device and is less common). All jet drive 3 pt bellhousing applications are "driven" by driveline overall length and the distance between the rear of the engine as well as the jet drive bearing carrier length/style. Most Panthers (some Maritechs) have an elongated Bearing carrier and use what we term a long driveline in combination with a short Jet boat 3 pt bellhousing , Berkeleys on the other hand Use long drive lines and Long Bell housings (or short D/L and short 7" housings) Please feel free to call if questions Tom
My drive line was a different animal for sure...

76 marlin dolphin
01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the info. So I need to look for a 454 bell housing 3 point that is the
same or real close to the depth of the one I have to avoid any drive line issues.

jetboatperformance
01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Thank you for the info. So I need to look for a 454 bell housing 3 point that is the
same or real close to the depth of the one I have to avoid any drive line issues.
Well the simplest is to asess the combination of your Jet (respective to the protruding bearing housing) where the rear of the Bellhousing will mountover the insulator , the length of the drive line from rear face of the crank flange to the jet drive end of the female splines and then the length (or depth) of the Bell housing ,from the flat surface where it mated to the block to the rearmost casting where it sets on the jet bearing housing and insulator , as is not unusual photos are alway helpfull, IF you have it all assembled and alls well then your ahead already !

78_Tahiti
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Please feel free to post pictures of your endeavor! It is always easier to help a fellow boater, if we can see, what your seeing! :smile:

76 marlin dolphin
01-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I dont have any parts to take pictures of yet. I just want to slowly start picking up parts for a 454. My boat is set up for a
amc engine and parts are hard to find and expensive , I like the amc but big block Chevy parts are everywhere . I just went to the hot rod swap meet in long beach looking for amc stuff and found nothing. I could not believe how much low cost surplus big block chevy stuff is out there.
I know you guys are going to think I am nuts but one of the sweetest setups
is a big block V8 with 4 independent runner Weber IDA carbs. I like Webers
because they have so many adjustments. I have sidedraft weber dcoe carbs
on my car there so sweet tons of torque and insane top end . I always
wanted to do a v8 IR motor.

78_Tahiti
01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm with you on the Weber 48IDA's. I worked on Ferraris for many years. The Webers are infinitely tuneable. I did a few Weber conversions for guys with street rods, and a couple exotics. There are 2 Pantera GT5's running around the San Francisco Bay Area, with 4 Webers that I did! Instant throttle response! I was amazed how well those 351 Cleveland V-8's performed with the addition of the Webers!