PDA

View Full Version : BOAT INSURANCE

PHOENIX
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
How many of you delinquents have insurance with and belong to Boat US?
I have been with them for a few years now and think they are darn nice folks
although I've never had to file a clain. Their rates are quite reasonable, especially on a
high powered jet boat. They also have lots of side benifits like a discount at the marina
gas pumps and with West Marine. I've never heard anyone mention them o here, so
was just curious. They make really nice reg. numbers and boat names to.

David
12-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Really??? Delinquents??? I have an umbrella plan that covers everything. What do you have?

Posted while on the run using iPhone app.

PHOENIX
12-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Really??? Delinquents??? I have an umbrella plan that covers everything. What do you have?

Posted while on the run using iPhone app.

Not sure what you are referring to....

429CV23
12-28-2012, 03:39 AM
An umbrella is generally just personal liability coverage. How does that help if your boat sinks, catches fire, or is destroyed while trailering (and its not someone elses fault)? Most auto insurance doesn't cover a trailer being towed, and you can't file a liability claim against yourself, so how do you collect?

David
12-28-2012, 06:58 AM
An umbrella is generally just personal liability coverage. How does that help if your boat sinks, catches fire, or is destroyed while trailering (and its not someone elses fault)? Most auto insurance doesn't cover a trailer being towed, and you can't file a liability claim against yourself, so how do you collect?
I'll have to ask my brother about what it does exactly... I pay my bill and sleep well at night...

David
12-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Just got off the phone with my brother...
So my boat insurance is from Sea Worthy...
$100,000.00
$300,000.00

$300,000.00 for uninsured
$500 deductible and declines by 25% yearly with no incidents so it's like real low now...

Covered for oil spills as well to what ever the maximum fine/clean up cost is...
Theft, trailer, towing, freeze damage... yada yada yada...

And from what I understand he said about the umbrella is that is fills the gaps where other policies fail so that it protects your assets better...

PHOENIX
12-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I used Boat US when I had my little 24' cruiser in a marina dry storage here...http://gwynns-island.morningstarmarinas.com/storage
Pretty much in the ballpark of hurricane alley. Even if I kept it in the water, haul out for any named storm in the area was free.
In that my only boat now is the Sleek down in the garage, it's insured along with the house homeowners only. I contacted Boat US last year about covering the Sleek when I get ready to launch. I had to send them several pics so they could understand just exactly what kind of boat
it was. I have no idea where the heck I filed that quote away. Amazing how much stuff dissapears and/or hides when you move a few hundred miles. Working with them is all online and easy. It may be well worth your time to get one of their free quotes.
http://www.boatus.com/boatinsurance/

PHOENIX
12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Several Marinas on the east coast are now requiring you to provide extra insurance coverage (unless your policy already has it) to the tune of $100-300,000. it's to cover damages your boat might do to the marina, like fire especially. (that's if you keep it moored there alll the time)

429CV23
12-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Markel is the cheapest I found. Most insurance I found for my Wellcraft Nova II was ~$470/yr, markel was ~330. They're $290/yr for the CV23 with an agreed value of $8000, $750 on the trailer, all the usual coverages.

David
12-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Markel is the cheapest I found. Most insurance I found for my Wellcraft Nova II was ~$470/yr, markel was ~330. They're $290/yr for the CV23 with an agreed value of $8000, $750 on the trailer, all the usual coverages.
I located my boat policy... $197 per year... $9000 on the boat and $1000 on the trailer...

AffordableWind
10-04-2018, 07:18 AM
What is considered at the time of boat insurance?

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Knock on wood.....Be vigilate, help others so they will help you, don't be stupid, be alert and know local regulations, and big sigh I cant afford what it would cost to insure my boat. Homeowners wont touch it either but lots of stuff cant stop dreams! They make movies about it for millions

David
10-14-2018, 07:56 AM
It's funny to go back and look at this thread 6 years later now that I am an insurance agent...

By the way, I write insurance in CA, TX, NV, UT, & TN now too... :-)