PDA

View Full Version : New and have questions

WIrooster
12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey all. I'm a recent purchaser of what the title says is a 1982 wellcraft 19' jet boat. I cannot find anything on wellcraft boats of this age/size/type. Am i missing something? also, the boat has a 350sbc. It is all plumbed correctly but does not have watercooled headers, just what are equivallent to open long tubes.. Is this normal or common? or alright to be running like that? any advice or info is helpful. Thanks!

78_Tahiti
12-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome to Vintage Jet Boats Wisconsin Rooster! Post up a few pictures so we can get a better look at your exhaust!

wolfie
12-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Welcome and congratulations to U of Wisconsin picking up Gary Anderson.....He's a great guy and a fantastic coach!!!

Like Steve said, post up some pictures. We all know that the Wellcraft brand has always been a great boat.

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 09:13 AM

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
so here's a couple pictures of it. It's a sharp looking boat that needs some finishing touches but am hoping should be a blast this summer. I don't know much about wellcraft so im just trying to get a better idea of what im working with. Am also not sure on the brand of pump. It has a diverter and i do not believe its a berkely but..again, this boat/hull is not one im all too familiar with.

Thanks for the help guys, and yea Gary Anderson should be a good fit. Were all excited about Barry coaching the Rose Bowl though!

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Thats a sharp looking float! Water in the headers does two things, helps keep them a little cooler and dampens noise level a little. Your headers have been set up to run dry, thus the fiberglass wrap. Those suckers get hot and if are run bare metal dry they like to blue severely and are hard to keep shiny. I like the angled tips!!!!! You will definately distract anyone lining up next to you to race! LOL

johnf
12-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Welcome Rooster, Very nice clean hot rod!! Are the gauges on engine extra or none on dash?? I wonder how many decibals That thing puts out 140???

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 10:04 AM
thanks guys. I was just curious as to if there were any negatives other than header heat & noise for having dry exhaust. Didnt know if it would effect engine cooling or not or if the water cooled headers assisted that at all. (ive wanted one of these old jets for a long time but this is my first) It will be getting a floor so ill need some advice on what you guys think i should use there. Not sure on noise level..all i know is the legal limit here in WI is 86db at idle... i have a feeling the warden will have a field day with me on our chain of lakes :x

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
also, gauges on engine are extra. still have dash pods. I believe its water temp, oil temp aaaand... cant rememeber

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Just make sure the warden stands 1/2mile away upwind and you should be able to register 86db at idle....maybe LOL! Water for the headers has nothing to with engine cooling. With log or manifold type headers some guys actually run the water through the exhaust first to pre heat the water before it gets to the engine. With a steady supply of cold lake water going to your block keeping the engine hot is more the goal rather than keeping the engine cool. Oil temp is what to watch over engine temp

freudian Slip
12-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Way cool! - You did Good!

Those headers look cool, but you may want to invest in something else, or set up some water injection once you start running it. In part because you will likely be on a 1st name basis with the local PoPo (water cop) due to the sheer awesomeness of volume, but mostly because they look to be awfully close to the transom. Open dry headers get hot. Really hot, really really hot. This is why you don't run dry headers in an enclosed engine compartment - think fire. If they are too close to fiberglass, it can cause damage to the fiberglass, or even make for one really bad day at the lake. There's also the annoying inconvenience of grumpiness when someone get's their 1st "header tattoo" by getting too close to a hot header.

wolfie
12-22-2012, 11:00 AM
The headers look like roadster headers. I wouldn't hook those up to run water through them unless you're sure the water exiting will clear or you're going to be pumping hot water into the bilge. Either way you're going to be running hot water onto the rear deck or bilge. I'd either see if you could baffle them or change them out.

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 11:32 AM
yea i will see what im dealing with noise wise when i get it out in spring. im sure it wont be quiet lol. I can honestly say on our chain of 10 lakes i dont know of another vintage jet..havent seen one in probably 10 years up there(which could be bad news for me considering ill be the only one WHEN someone calls to complain). I know the warden, the chain is patroled by only one. The thing is there are mastercrafts that i know of with the 8.1litre motors that you can hear from 3 lakes away. if they arent dealing with fines, im hoping i wont either.. Ill explore baffles to have on hand just as a 'look what measures im trying to take'

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
What you have there is a set of car headers bolted on upside down on the opposite side it's supposed to go on.
Personally I would absolutely get something water cooled.
You don't show any pics of the stern, so we can't tell what kind of pump it has.
Also, are there plugs where exhaust used to come thru the transom?
I reasearched online for quite awhile and could not find any older Wellcraft jets, just the newer Scarab kind.
Are there any letters or numbers on the top right of the transom. If so, I would imagine a Wellcraft might start with a WEL...then some numbers.
Sweet ride and well worth spending every last dime on....:happy2:

wolfie
12-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Scarab was made by Wellcraft. So it could be the predecessor to the Scarab or it is a Scarab.

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Scarab was made by Wellcraft. So it could be the predecessor to the Scarab or it is a Scarab.

Team Scarab was started in 1975 for offshore racing mostly. http://teamscarab.com/history.htm
Their first jet boats were called "Sprints" and came about around 1990. http://www.scarabsprint.com/

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Hull ID #'s

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

David
12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Team Scarab was started in 1975 for offshore racing mostly. http://teamscarab.com/history.htm
Their first jet boats were called "Sprints" and came about around 1990. http://www.scarabsprint.com/
That scarabsprint dot com site is a waste of kilobytes... Started in 2010 as a blog with 1 post that is meaningless and no comments allowed... Get off my internet!!! LOL :4_1_72:
The above comment spurred by the below comment... That would be like me saying "all bloggers ____ ____ ____" Uninformed idiot!!! :41616-4:

Also, when I visit all the other forums online, I am unable to look at any pictures of the boats being discussed. I even signed up at one of them so that I could see some of the pics that a user had uploaded of their Sprint boat, and then I was asked to upgrade my account with them before I could even view the photos. That is dumb! Hey forum moderators…kiss my ass!

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 01:10 PM
That scarabsprint dot com site is a waste of kilobytes... Started in 2010 as a blog with 1 post that is meaningless and no comments allowed... Get off my internet!!! LOL :4_1_72:
The above comment spurred by the below comment... That would be like me saying "all bloggers ____ ____ ____" Uninformed idiot!!! :41616-4:

Oooops, sorry about that :frown:
I neglected to read it all the way thru and deserve the "Duh Award" for the day...

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Well i'm looking at the title. The hull ID number is JRS8J9270873 ...so obviously doesnt start with WEL. Right underneath that it says boat make or manufacturer: WELL I mean at the end of the day im not too concerned with What it actually is but its nice to know for knowledge sake..

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 01:23 PM
*TO PHOENIX*

David
12-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Well i'm looking at the title. The hull ID number is JRS8J9270873 ...so obviously doesnt start with WEL. Right underneath that it says boat make or manufacturer: WELL I mean at the end of the day im not too concerned with What it actually is but its nice to know for knowledge sake..
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx

MIC:
JRS
Inactive

Company:
JERSEY MARINE INDUSTRIES
Company Official:
BRUCE PANIUS

Parent Company:

Parent MIC:

Address:
110 CUSHMAN AVENUE
City:
WEST BERLIN

State:
NJ
Zip:

Phone:

Fax:
In Business:
Wednesday, February 22, 1995

Out of Business:
Thursday, January 27, 2005
Date Modified:
Thursday, January 27, 2005

Type:
Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Inboard/Outboard, Sterndrive, Inboard/Outdrive

Additional Address:

Comments:
KONA OOB 8/79. 961007 MAILING ADDRESS NOW SAME AS FACTORY; WAS 1309 SHELLY LN, CHERRY HILL NJ 08034, (609)429-4789.OOB PER PPG 1/27/2005

David
12-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Oooops, sorry about that :frown:
I neglected to read it all the way thru and deserve the "Duh Award" for the day...
No worries man... I like gathering history on jet boats so I often check out other sites that are dedicated to a specific hull because they typically have great info...
Like when I bought my CV23 I went to a Glastron forum and gathered some good info and shared it here...

PHOENIX
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
One last comment then I'm going to go take a ride on the couch.
It would be a good idea to get the info on the title changed, especially if those
hull ID numbers don't match.

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 01:49 PM
yea im not positive on that but am now concerned and hope i didnt get a bunk title. I'm sure ill get it sorted out

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-22-2012, 02:33 PM
What it all boils down to Rooster, is your going to have the most bitchin boat on the pond come springtime!!!! :drv:

WIrooster
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
haha well im hoping so! and with any luck, the fastest.. (if it does anything better than 50ish i should be able to claim that too, so im hopeful that it runs out alright! i know jets arent quite as efficient in putting power to the water as props, so im not quite sure what to expect for mph outta this thing)

ps i just noticed your sig Advocate. lolol!

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-22-2012, 07:41 PM
haha well im hoping so! and with any luck, the fastest.. (if it does anything better than 50ish i should be able to claim that too, so im hopeful that it runs out alright! i know jets arent quite as efficient in putting power to the water as props, so im not quite sure what to expect for mph outta this thing)

ps i just noticed your sig Advocate. lolol! OH! Jets put the power down!!!!!! Props might get a little more top end but your impy puts the torque down a lot faster. And they have a lot less maintenance! Any outboard that can keep up equals double didgit dollars, V-drives are faster but you have a tranny riding shotgun. And you still have to have a big block to spin that shaft and a really good mechanic to keep it from eating herself up.

WIrooster
12-23-2012, 07:46 AM
well we shall see. I dont really want to speculate all Too much and get my hopes up, but what is typical for a small block jet top end wise? (granted yes i know the hull matters, whats Done to the motor yada yada)

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey David, whats the top end on IAMJC's float with the small block chev?

David
12-23-2012, 08:24 AM
well we shall see. I dont really want to speculate all Too much and get my hopes up, but what is typical for a small block jet top end wise? (granted yes i know the hull matters, whats Done to the motor yada yada)

Hey David, whats the top end on IAMJC's float with the small block chev?
He was somewhere in the mid 60's I think...

thompy
12-23-2012, 10:53 AM
cool ride like the color

wolfie
12-23-2012, 02:03 PM

They had an agreement with Wellcraft. The Miami Vice boat from the 80's was a Wellcraft Scarab. Team Scarab I believe was the offshore racing group.

wolfie
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
WIrooster, you have a nice boat....Don't worry about what anyone else has or how yours stacks up against others, just enjoy it....Let the "I want to impress you" deal stay with the Porsche owners. Update as you can to what you want and how you want to use it!!!

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-23-2012, 02:58 PM
The cool thing about the small blocks is that they ramp up way faster than the big displacement motors! And if built right can handle a few more RPMs !!!!!!!!!! That is going to be a fun ride

78_Tahiti
12-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Take a couple pictures of the pump (inside & outside of the hull) that way we can tell you what your working with. There are a couple of our members with Wellcraft Jets. Those headers your boat has, can be made considerably quieter using the "Supertrapp Disc Style" muffling system. This will not hurt performance either. Heres a link. http://supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=27

Sleek Freak
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
OH! Jets put the power down!!!!!! Props might get a little more top end but your impy puts the torque down a lot faster. And they have a lot less maintenance! Any outboard that can keep up equals double didgit dollars, V-drives are faster but you have a tranny riding shotgun. And you still have to have a big block to spin that shaft and a really good mechanic to keep it from eating herself up.

wow, really? seems someone needs some time around a v drive.:biggrin:

"THE ADVOCATE"
12-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Master, seems some one told me it takes an artisan to calibrate a V drive correctly. Merry Christmas, Love grasshopper! Jets do loose 30% (approximate) of horsepower to thrust, but that can be compensated for!!!!! Plus you dont kill manitees

wolfie
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
wow, really? seems someone needs some time around a v drive.:biggrin:

You have to forgive him, he likes Fords too.

roblock
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
The days are officially getting longer now.... Summer is coming. Nice looking boat, enjoy!

WIrooster
12-24-2012, 09:24 AM
thanks all, it should be a fun first jet boat venture for me. a buddy is bringing it back to his shop for me today, so its a good christmas present. Ill post pics of the pump, etc. when i get the chance.

WIrooster
01-02-2013, 10:45 AM
a little post holiday update here. I had my buddy (who has the boat in his building for winter) check a few things for me. The Hull ID # on the transom matches the title..so idk what the WELL stands for on the title but, at least we're good there. Now as far as the jet, i had him send me a couple quick pics to post up here to see if anything could be determined. Anyways here they are. I was told there wasnt any problems with the jet but of course without having it on the water i can only hope thats the case.. 83158316

David
01-02-2013, 11:03 AM
That's a great start there... Berk with a Place Diverter...

wolfie
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Yep, "C" bowl with a diverter. Make sure that before you go out that you check the intake grate bolts, all the fasteners on the jet, grease the zerk at the thrust bearing (right where the driveline attaches), and that the bowl has oil in it. Sometimes you can reach through the cleanout and grab the impeller shaft. If it moves fore and aft or you can move it up and down, you might have some issues, although this doesn't always mean there's no problem, just a substantial problem. If you want, disconnect the driveline from the engine and you should be able to spin the shaft with ease. You'll be able to hear or feel any grinding if you have a thrust bearing issue.
I may be off base with this, but I always do this.

PHOENIX
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
If you don't have one, get ya one of these. They are perfect for checking wheel bearings, alternator bearings, about any bearing or even funky noises inside a distributer, etc. Just about all auto parts stores carry them. I'm showing the cheapest ones I know of if you have these stores, or it may be worth the price of shipping to just order one on line.
Everything has a certain whir to it...it's the crunchy grinding sound that's usually the uh oh! Doesn't hurt to go around and listen to everything when all is well so as to recognize when things starts sounding different.
I had a pesky little rattling sound I just couldn't find for several months on my wifes Escape. Sounded like it kinda came from every where.
Got out the stethascope and after poking around, found it to be the drive belt tensioner pulley.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

PHOENIX
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Yep, "C" bowl with a diverter. Make sure that before you go out that you check the intake grate bolts, all the fasteners on the jet, grease the zerk at the thrust bearing (right where the driveline attaches), and that the bowl has oil in it. Sometimes you can reach through the cleanout and grab the impeller shaft. If it moves fore and aft or you can move it up and down, you might have some issues, although this doesn't always mean there's no problem, just a substantial problem. If you want, disconnect the driveline from the engine and you should be able to spin the shaft with ease. You'll be able to hear or feel any grinding if you have a thrust bearing issue.
I may be off base with this, but I always do this.

I agree, as it will let you check those u-joint bearings at the same time.

PHOENIX
01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Some info you may not have:
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/t-berkeley_jet_rebuild.aspx

http://www.berkeleyjet.com/t-bj_tech.aspx

WIrooster
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
well cool. thanks for the info guys. Yea i dont know enough about these yet to be able to tell just by looking if i had a berkeley or what.. I'm already anxious to get the boat finished up and on the water to see what ive gotten into :smile:

wolfie
01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Well, it looks like you have a good start! BTW, it's always just a start. You'll want to add this, then you have to have that. next thing you know, you're building the engine a little more. Then your wife rides in Doug's PC and you're selling your boat to upgrade to a faster one, well you get my drift!!

WIrooster
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
yea i hear ya, and who knows where it will end up. Right now I'll just focus on getting er sea worthy. (just needs alternator mounted and some buttoning up...hopefully). The eternal pessimist in me is just worried about pump seals,bearings,impeller,etc.
So a couple other questions quickly. first, the gear controls. Now I'm used to our Nautique, obviously very distinct neutral position between forward and reverse(which makes sense because of the trans,duh),but. When moving the controls on this I can Kind of determine where i think neutral is based on feel. My question is, is it normal to have more smooth transition from forward to reverse or is it supposed to be pretty distinct? I know its essentially the nozzle that controls this so im not sure (newb question, but again, trying to get a sense of what's normal)
Second, The floor/hull as can be seen in the precvious pics, is not carpeted. I don't think i want to add the weight and put a wood floor in, do you guys pretty much all have your interior carpeted? all based on preference? what do you think. Thanks!

wolfie
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
The transition is usually a mild transition due to the basic design.

Flooring is personal preference. I like to have a subfloor as there's always going to be some fool that jumps into the boat. At least the subfloor give you a little between the hull and the idiots foot. Some lay carpeting, some use a floor coating. It's up to you as to what you want.

PHOENIX
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
yea i hear ya, and who knows where it will end up. Right now I'll just focus on getting er sea worthy. (just needs alternator mounted and some buttoning up...hopefully). The eternal pessimist in me is just worried about pump seals,bearings,impeller,etc.
So a couple other questions quickly. first, the gear controls. Now I'm used to our Nautique, obviously very distinct neutral position between forward and reverse(which makes sense because of the trans,duh),but. When moving the controls on this I can Kind of determine where i think neutral is based on feel. My question is, is it normal to have more smooth transition from forward to reverse or is it supposed to be pretty distinct? I know its essentially the nozzle that controls this so im not sure (newb question, but again, trying to get a sense of what's normal)
Second, The floor/hull as can be seen in the precvious pics, is not carpeted. I don't think i want to add the weight and put a wood floor in, do you guys pretty much all have your interior carpeted? all based on preference? what do you think. Thanks!

Yes, neutral is an iffy thing on a jet. It's always a pumping (when running), so neutral is the gate halfway down directing water both fore and aft. So you have to just edge the shifter until you kinda get a steady position. But! As long as she's running, she won't sit still so you have to be sure you have protection from the dock or what ever you're tied to. If you are out away from and not tied to anything, she will most likely spin around in circles. When I was doing adjustments at idle, it would make me dizzy!!

David
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Because my boat uses a Morse controller like a prop boat, when mine is straight up it's set up to be pretty neutral... It still moves forward a bit though...
I'll shoot a pic of the bucket in the neutral position to give you a starting point... That way you can set your handle where you want neutral to be and then adjust the height...
http://www.vintagejetboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6741&d=1347685135

http://www.vintagejetboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6737&d=1347685121

WIrooster
06-17-2013, 04:43 AM
Little Update here all. So when i bought this boat it was virtually blind as to the condition of the engine. Never heard it run or had any verification. After buttoning a few things up and sorting through some wiring, i was getting it to pop, but not healthy. A little more digging turned up that the distributor was in 180* off. Resolved that issue and then fired the boat up for the first time.... Ummm. wow. I would love to post a video of how rowdy this thing sounds. Have a few small things to finish up (wiring switches, mounting alternator, and cleaning up fuel tank lines)..otherwise she's rarin to go. Question about Bowl oil though. How to check, WHERE to check/fill, and what to use. Thanks in advance!

David
06-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Little Update here all. So when i bought this boat it was virtually blind as to the condition of the engine. Never heard it run or had any verification. After buttoning a few things up and sorting through some wiring, i was getting it to pop, but not healthy. A little more digging turned up that the distributor was in 180* off. Resolved that issue and then fired the boat up for the first time.... Ummm. wow. I would love to post a video of how rowdy this thing sounds. Have a few small things to finish up (wiring switches, mounting alternator, and cleaning up fuel tank lines)..otherwise she's rarin to go. Question about Bowl oil though. How to check, WHERE to check/fill, and what to use. Thanks in advance!

Check out page 25 @ http://www.cpperformance.com/Instructions/berkmanual.pdf To refill the bowl oil remove both of the 1/8" npt plugs (Item #48) on the bowl and using a squeeze bottle of oil force oil (90 wt.gear oil per Berkeley Jet's recommendation) into one of the hole still it comes out the other,re-install both of the plugs
http://www.berkeleyjet.com/t-bj_tech.aspx

laddiepowell
06-22-2013, 09:14 AM
I just went through the same thing with my can-am , lots of goosebumps and smiles the funnest part is when you fire it up at the launch ramp for the first time Good Luck be safe

WIrooster
06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
just to give a little idea of the rowdiness thats to ensue... getting the timing close here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgVEE9MjZE&feature=em-upload_owner