PDA

View Full Version : Panther pumps

Larry
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Can anyone tell me if Panther is still in business? If they are, how do you contact them? I have tried their website with no luck.
If they are not in business is there somewhere I can get parts and/or advise on these pumps.
I have a 1979 25ft Hawaiian day-cruiser (cuddy) 454 chevy. It make lots of noise & RPM but won't get out of the hole.
(I have in the past had a couple of V-Drive boats & an I/O boat) This is my first experence with a jet and need a little coaching.
I bought the boat as a project and have done some extensive repairs and upgrades too bring it back to its classic form, But now I need to make it run as good as it looks.
I would be greatful for any help I can get.

heyyou325
08-19-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.pantherjet.com/ I haven't checked it out, but I've been meaning too.

roblock
08-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes they are still in business, but I think they pretty much are a parts supplier. I don't know for sure but I don't tink they do work on the pumps anymore. You can also get parts from Tom at jetboatperformance.com as well as service, and very good advice.

If you want to do most of the work yourself, check out the panther pump section here at the site... http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forumdisplay.php?118-Panther-Pumps

If the intake grate is clear you are going to need to pull the exit housing off and find out whats going on in there...

I have a panther myself and if you don't have a manual you will want to get one. You can order it from Panther. Email them pantherjets@gmail.com

Larry
08-19-2012, 10:47 AM
thanks for the reply I have tried the e-mail address and it comes back as undeliverable, and thats the contact info from their website.
I will try tom and see what he can do for me. thank you for the information

Larry
08-19-2012, 10:49 AM
thanks

David
08-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Check your email Larry... Sent you a little present... :biggrin:

78_Tahiti
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Check your email Larry... Sent you a little present... :biggrin: Gives a whole new meaning to "I Love PDF's!" :smile:

"THE ADVOCATE"
08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
6450And dont forget to check out the NUTTZ page Larry! :hi:

David
08-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to "I Love PDF's!" :smile:
Knew what I send did ya?

Posted while on the run from my iPhone.

Larry
08-25-2012, 07:49 AM
thanks to everyone for the help! I have sent an E-mail to Panther and have not gotten a response back ( its been more the a week) not getting any warm fuzzy feelings from that!!
I did get the manual that David sent ( luv PDF) thank you.
Looks like I'll be taking the pump apart too see what makes it TICK (or NOT TICK) in my case.

78_Tahiti
08-25-2012, 04:16 PM
The most common thing Larry seems to be, most dont lube the tail bushing. That allows the shaft to wobble, then the big stainless impeller gouges out the housing! This makes excessive clearance, this makes for excessive noise & NO low end grunt. Which is an area the Panthers did pretty good!

roblock
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Don't be suprised if you get an email from Panther even a week or two late. When I tried to get in touch this last winter it didn't look good then either. But a guy named chad did get back to me. No, its not good business practice but at the moment I think it may be a one man show. If he is on vacation or something he may not have got your email as of yet but he does have an iphone too. It was only July 16th that I received the last email about my last order...

To: robert lockett <rob.lockett@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Thu, July 19, 2012 8:46:47 AM
Subject: Re:

I'm hoping so at any rate... I may need some more parts someday soon. And if Steve is right, you may be able to replace that bushing and repair the housing with Devcon. I think Tom told me he does a basic rebuild (including the Devcon) for $650 but don't quote me...

roblock
08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
The parts I received this year came from the address and were billed by Fountain Valley Auto Body in Fountain Valley, Ca... so you may be able to make a call and find out whats up with the Panther parts. Please let us know what you find out :rooster:

http://fountainvalleybodyworks.com/

78_Tahiti
08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Good info Rob, Thanx! last I knew, they were still in Drain. Oregon. LOL!!

76 marlin dolphin
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Is there any news on this did anyone get a reply. I sent a email two weeks ago
asking a question and have not heard anything. I want to order some parts but
wanted to talk to someone first . How did you guys order parts? Did you just
fill out the secure order with the parts you wanted with your card # and hope
for the best? Just seems kind of weird .

roblock
10-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Is there any news on this did anyone get a reply. I sent a email two weeks ago
asking a question and have not heard anything. I want to order some parts but
wanted to talk to someone first . How did you guys order parts? Did you just
fill out the secure order with the parts you wanted with your card # and hope
for the best? Just seems kind of weird .

I made contact via email last time. You'll find some info in the above comments. It does sound wierd, I don't know what to tell you. I would probably not just submit an order though. You wouldn't want it haning in limbo...

I would try calling Fountain Valley Auto body and seeing if they can tell you anything. The parts came from there the last time I ordered. You can also contact Tom at Jetboatperformance.com or call him. He can get most parts as well.

Sorry I don't have anything more for you, good luck. let us know if you learn anything.

78_Tahiti
10-28-2012, 03:30 AM
I haven't talked to Panther in a couple years or so. Another resource is Jim at Performance Jet, in Sebastapool, CA.
http://performancejet.com/contactus.htm