PDA

View Full Version : Picking the right boat - Limited to a Beam of 83 inches or less!

BOSTONCAMARO
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum and am starting to poke around at jet boat projects, really prefer something with a Chevy motor and as I am limited by an 84 inch wide culvert that connects our small pond with a big lake, I need to find a boat that has a beam of 83 inches or less.

I also am limited by water depth later in the year so an I/O style jet drive would be best, really cant use an inboard of any type.

I appreciate any info on makes and models, be great to find something in the 16 foot range.

Regards, Tim

Lynn MA

78_Tahiti
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
There lots of different types of JetBoat hulls out there! Browse through some of the readers rides. It may give you an Idea of whats out there. Most Jet Boats, only draft 4 or 5 inches of water while under way. with such a narrow passage to the lake, you may want to look into the aluminum hull style jet boats

BOSTONCAMARO
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I have researched some jet boats and seems a lot of the 16 footers are in the right range...

I am wondering what a 16 foot Tahiti measures at its beam..

David
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I have researched some jet boats and seems a lot of the 16 footers are in the right range...

I am wondering what a 16 foot Tahiti measures at its beam..
Check through this section...
Full of original brochures and some spec sheets as well...
http://www.vintagejetboats.com/content.php?218-jet-boat-brochures

BOSTONCAMARO
07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
thats great david, will check it out now, I have been using ABOS Marine Blue Book but doesnt have a lot of the earlier boat specs

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-19-2012, 05:40 PM
58925893My 1979 18' Sleek Craft is 79" at her widest...Heres a pic of her Berkeley 12 JE drive with Jet O Vater.

T8er S.
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
58925893My 1979 18' Sleek Craft is 79" at her widest...Heres a pic of her Berkeley 12 JE drive with Jet O Vater.

:like::like::like:

wolfie
07-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Can't wait to see that on the water Jason!!!

T8er S.
07-19-2012, 05:47 PM
5894This would get-r-done! :crazeddriver:

freudian Slip
07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Whacha plan for boat'n? This will be an important item as there are definitely specific setups (combo's) that are better suited for specific types of boating.

For example: If your looking to play in "skinny water" and are likely to pump gravel and bounce off rocks to get to your favorite fishing hole. Think Aluminum hull, Hamilton, and or something like what T8er posted. If your just looking to go fast(ish) and are not likely to spend much time stump jumping and you keep your "fish bait" in your short's :zhug:, then something more along the lines of what the Advocate posted will likely Git-er-done. If your plan is to pull tubes, skier/boarder, maybe fish and just need something to squeeze though the ditch - I'd look for a day cruiser style. You can get chebv powa in any of the afore mentioned toys.

wolfie
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Whacha plan for boat'n? This will be an important item as there are definitely specific setups (combo's) that are better suited for specific types of boating.

For example: If your looking to play in "skinny water" and are likely to pump gravel and bounce off rocks to get to your favorite fishing hole. Think Aluminum hull, Hamilton, and or something like what T8er posted. If your just looking to go fast(ish) and are not likely to spend much time stump jumping and you keep your "fish bait" in your short's :zhug:, then something more along the lines of what the Advocate posted will likely Git-er-done. If your plan is to pull tubes, skier/boarder, maybe fish and just need something to squeeze though the ditch - I'd look for a day cruiser style. You can get chebv powa in any of the afore mentioned toys.

Like one of these???

78_Tahiti
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
All great tips! Thanks Guys!

BOSTONCAMARO
07-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Something that can cruise around but also go real good, not looking for a drag race only boat...maybe do some wakeboarding off it, but also have the Donzi for that....

We build a lot of cars, so something I can build a healthy motor for, have fun with but also be reliable.

Advocate, I love your boat...I am going to search for one like it

Is there any specific model? or just an 18 foot Sleekcraft?

wolfie
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Something that can cruise around but also go real good, not looking for a drag race only boat...maybe do some wakeboarding off it, but also have the Donzi for that....

We build a lot of cars, so something I can build a healthy motor for, have fun with but also be reliable.

Is there any specific model? or just an 18 foot Sleekcraft?

There are a ton of different hulls out there. Our boats are far from drag boats. We have a Sleek Craft Rebel (Mike's), a Sundance 18' (Jill's), and I had the Eliminator 'cruiser. All can pull a skier or tube. The Eliminator probably was the most versatile. It could hold 6. You can move around when stopped. Not sure what the width was. It was a lot of fun.

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Is there any specific model? or just an 18 foot Sleekcraft?Its a '79 Sleek Craft "Sportster". Pretty rare hull but I have seen a few around the net. There was one on ebay about a month ago, but the guy was asking way to much for it because he didnt really want to sell it.

David
07-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Its a '79 Sleek Craft "Sportster". Pretty rare hull but I have seen a few around the net. There was one on ebay about a month ago, but the guy was asking way to much for it because he didnt really want to sell it.
It had a rare engine cover too!!! LOL :zwhistle:

"THE ADVOCATE"
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Do I need to poke holes in the bottom of your boat again David?

David
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
You musta been stomping your feet to put that big ole split in it I got!!!

Sorry dude... I just couldn't pass that one up!!! LOL

wolfie
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
You musta been stomping your feet to put that big ole split in it I got!!!

Sorry dude... I just couldn't pass that one up!!! LOL

And you get on me for giving Jason a hard time!!!

BTW, I saw him jumping up and down in it at the ramp last year when you weren't looking!!!!!

David
07-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I thought that sound was Rory's woofers!!! Now I know the truth!!! :censored_125[1]:

wolfie
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I thought that sound was Rory's woofers!!! Now I know the truth!!! :censored_125[1]:

Rory didn't have his stereo yet. It was Jason!!!! :busted2:

How he did it, i don't know. The guy couldn't weight 100 lbs soaken wet!!! He could use a hamburger or two!!!

David
07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
LOL... :yesnod:

freudian Slip
07-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Aaah, now we have something to work with. Have a seat and I’ll share my semi-humble opinion and what drivel of info I have access to on the subject at hand.

Finding and setting up a jetboat is a lot like dating. It’s all in the setup and to each their own.
Just like in dating, the tighter the pump, the more efficient it is (you will feel the difference between a loose pump...) Again, like in dating, it’s worth checking the condition of the wear ring/impeller before jumping in a taking a long ride – or a bunch of buddies along (sick-o’s, I know what your thinking here). For your pump, I say; stick with one of the big names like Berk, Dom, AT… for a pump. Easy to get parts for, most are interchangeable… Easy is good. Right?

Since your going to be running the ditch to get to the big watta, and you are likely to be playing in some shallow(ish) low water on a regular basis, I’d say stay with the stock rock grate instead of a loader grate. This should minimize your time with your hand in the clean out digging for rocks stuck in your impeller (I hate it when I do that) and maximize your time blasting away saying thing’s like “hey ladies….”

Again like with dating – everything’s a trade off. Before you build your fire breathing fear invoking earth shaking Chebby, take a moment to study the impeller charts and your cam HP curve… Then ask yourself how fast you want to spin the motor and how often. The better the match, the happier the boat. Oh, and consider how often you plan to “freshen” her up. The bigger the plan, the more often the “freshening”. I’ve found 5-600hp NA motors can be very reliable if built well. As soon as you start squeezing +600 hp from a NA motor, your shop time will likely start to increase exponentially as will the # of time’s you paddle off or get towed off the lake. But, it’ll run like a sum-b!tch when it runs. –If your building blown or + 600hp, you really want to look at a pump brace and either stainless or magbronze impeller and a jetaway. –it aint pretty when thing’s let loose…( unless your on the sidelines. Then it can be quite spectacular)

If you are going to pull tubes, skiers etc… you will want more oomph at take off and good cruise. (this will cost you top speed) I’d lean towards the standard “A” or if you have the brass to spin it an AA. –the smaller and lighter the boat, the more you can get away with smaller impellers and pulling water toys. Ie, B, C…

If you are more interested in being faster and don’t really care about getting a 200lb bubba up on a slalom ski then a B – C and more rpm’s will get you there. (hard to pull skiers – they hook up hard and don’t like to cruise. Tubes are awesome (if you can hang on that is))

When it comes to exhaust. OT headers look and sound awesome. But… if you have peep’s crawling in and out of the boat all day long at some point someone will get a header tattoo (burn). Dry headers are likely to garner the attention of Johnny law. If you enjoy frequent boarding’s and don’t mind the occasional wrist deep search – dry might be for you. If the kiddo’s will be crawling all over things and in’n out … TT exhaust would be the way to go. Most of the time TT will leave a mentionable amount of ponies sitting on the table (Damn log’s).

One last thougt - either Jetovator or place diverter - Get one! or 2 they'r small.

78_Tahiti
07-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I have to agree with most of what Freud Wrote!

freudian Slip
08-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Sooooo......

How goes the boat search?

BOSTONCAMARO
08-02-2014, 08:29 PM
We have been driving our Donzi 16 a lot but still have our eyes out for a jet boat...we are in a deep water lake, trying to find a Sportster Jet Sleekcraft....the beam of 79 / 80 inchs work, the canal we need to go through has a 84 inch width, cement walls, leads from our medium pond into the big lake anyone as something email me please at sfaboston AT Hotmail.com thx

"THE ADVOCATE"
08-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Sportsters are rare, but they are out there. And I have found that it is more like driving a cruise missel than a boat. Good times!

Sleek Freak
08-02-2014, 09:24 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/4598556436.html https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/4519997886.html

"THE ADVOCATE"
08-02-2014, 09:31 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/4598556436.html https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/4519997886.htmlBAM!

wolfie
08-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Where's the engine hatch?? Does he know Jason??? :4_12_2:

White Lightning
08-03-2014, 10:39 AM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/4598556436.html https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/4519997886.html

Man.....that first one has HUMUNGUS seat belts in it!! lol
Must belong to some fat people.......(hee hee hee)
Rob

Sleek Freak
08-03-2014, 01:48 PM
hey lighten up fellers I was looking for east coast listings. that's how they roll back east only most have tall seats with head rests that match those seat belts. oh great now I'm in trouble again.:biggrin:

White Lightning
08-03-2014, 07:21 PM
hey lighten up fellers I was looking for east coast listings. that's how hey roll back east only most have tall seats with head rests that match those seat belts. oh great now I'm in trouble again.:biggrin:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Rob