PDA

View Full Version : Howard Prarie Lake Resort

roblock
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Just got back from 5 days with family at Howard Prarie Lake Resort In Oregon. Its about a 20 or 30 min drive out of Ashland. Really nice people up there... I am a little peeved at the old man at the gate who told me the speed limit is 40. The old buzzard got me... it wasn't until I got home that I realized he was jerking my chain. But there wasn't a cop in sight all weekend so... :drv:

I also had a mechanical problem and a couple of their guys helped me fabricate a small part to fix it and the willingly gave me a couple Oz of gear oil too.

The only restriction on the lake is the no wake at the marina. Other than that its total freedom. There are alot of sailboats on the lake and there are small bouys that mark a course for them to race. They raced yesturday, but there was plenty of room for everyone on the water. It was windy each day except for yesturday and today, but very rarely were there whitecaps. With all the sailboats I wasn't sure how it would be.

The water is pretty cold at 4800 ft (surface temp of 68 where we caught fish), but warmer near shore and in the coves. The kids didn't complain...

Awesome place to go with camping suitable for beaching your boat near camp on the North side. Watch for weed beds.

The fishing is excellent too. Biggest fish was my boy's 18 1/2 inch rainbow. But we caught about 10-12 over 16 inches. We came home with about 10 lbs of trout to smoke :)

78_Tahiti
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow! Thats a lot of Trout! Sounds like lake Whiskey Town in NorCal! Always breezy!

David
07-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Sounds like it was a great time Rob, always nice to find folks to lend a hand and keep you running!!! :15_8_200v:

roblock
07-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Seen Wiskeytown many times trucking between Eureka and the valley Steve. Never been on it, but its a beauty. Those mountain views to the south are awesome. It is often windy, but I've seen it pure glass many times as well.

David, it was very cool to see an eager hand. Nobody helps much these days. I am guilty as anyone most of the time but I was able to pass it on to another guy who had an issue with his Bimini. He wasn't a jet boater, but I had brought some misc nuts and bolts and such, one of which fit and I had an allen wrench to tighten things up. He was almost startled and a bit embarrassed at how eager I was to help. If he only knew that an hour earlier I thought my whole trip was ruined, and I had just been 'saved' myself.

The folks at the resort were so accomodating it made me wonder if your decals and hat made them go the extra mile. One guy was even going to let me use their shop. They made it perfectly clear by actions that they wanted more vjb folk to come have a good time. The guy who helped me make the piece I needed had stopped by camp as we were setting up. He was the first of many compliments on the Sandollar. He has a 1978 Marlin competition ski boat and we talked for awhile as I unpacked the boat and truck.

Moral of the story... if you don't feel like advertizing for David and the great bunch of folks here, then do it for your own benefit. Someone may just think your are more special than you really are :4_12_2:

David
07-10-2012, 05:43 AM
NICE!!! Rob out representing VJB!!! :15_8_200v:

78_Tahiti
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
:like: