PDA

View Full Version : Fixing floor rot in 77 marlin jet boat

blacufo
05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a 77 marlin jet, 18ft low profile with a 454 chevy. It has always been stored inside but the floor in front of the engine, next to the rear seat has collapsed due to rot (8X8 inch section). Any recommendations on the type of wood to use or any tips to address this. The carpet is still in real good shape, but I have not pulled it back yet to see the extent of the damage. Im assuming marine plywood would be the best, but not sure if that needs to be treated as well. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

David
05-31-2012, 09:38 AM
I've used regular plywood, make sure that all edges are coated with resin so that water cannot penetrate the wood.
Post up some pics once you get the carpet out and the rotted area is exposed so that we have a better idea of what you've got to work with.
Sometimes you can just patch that one area, of course the best repair is to replace the whole floor but, it's summer and time to be on the water.

CV-21
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
you can use ACX or CDX grade ply ACX is a better grade just make sure you seal it good , marine would be over kill for a repair IMHO.

Sleek Freak
05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
if you get a chance post up a picture.

"THE ADVOCATE"
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
I know I am new but check your stringers out carefully too! Its summer time and we dont want to read about any catastrophic failures. Even though they dont have as much torque as BBF Fords those Chevys can put some stress on sterns as well...

T8er S.
05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't know about torque in a bbf but they make great anchors. :burp:

Sleek Freak
05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
I know I am new but check your stringers out carefully too! Its summer time and we dont want to read about any catastrophic failures. Even though they dont stress the driver as much as BBF Fords those Chevys can put some crazy stress on sterns as well...

fixed it for ya Jason..... you're welcome. :cheers:

"THE ADVOCATE"
05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Appreciated!

roblock
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Don't freak out, but there's a good chance that the whole deck is toasted, and possibly the stringers. I had one little soft spot in the floor front of the rear seat when I bought mine last year. And when I pulled a motor mount bolt, it was almost rusted through. I had work to do, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, it just took some time and thought. Pictures are a big help.

You could probably get by with a patch for the season as long as the fiberglass holding everything else together is sufficiently strong.