PDA

View Full Version : BBF Marine Oil Pan Issues

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of JetBoat Owners with BBF engines. That seem to develop some Serious Oil Delivery Problems after installing Aftermarket Oil Pans on these Engines. I'm not Knocking any Companies Product, just trying to inform anyone who is interested, from My Own Experience, as well as People I Know, that have developed problems after changing the Oil Pan on 429/460 Engines in a JetBoat. (I will finish this as free time allows)

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Since I had the engine out, Thought I would install a Higher Capacity Oil Pan, since JetBoats and Higher then Average Oil Temps go Hand in Hand. I looked around to see what people were using, talked to quite a few people. Heard the many stories of the Miloden Cookie Cutter Marine Pan Issues. I had a pretty good idea, what was probably going on inside the pan to cause the drop in oil pressure above 3000 RPM! So I copied a Canton 460 Marine Oil Pan with a couple of extra features. Cut the bottom off a stock pan, took measurements of how much romm I had to work with, then welded that together!

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Then, I bought a rear pickup style oil pump, Made a large tube oil pickup, made 2 baffles with trap doors, similar to Miloden's. Made 2 windage plates with notches for oil return as well as the pump & pick-up tube. I also made a crankshaft oil stripper, and added a some "one way oil return screen" to assist in getting the oil back in the sump & keeping it there for the oil pump to have uninterrupted access too!

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
So, on went the pan, in went the engine, out to play on the lake I went. I set the sump pickup height 1/4" from the pan bottom, as well as pressure tested the pickup tube to make sure I didn't have any leaks, as that woule aerate the oil, making it foamy, dropping pressure as the pump compressed it! Everything seemed fine, until I hit about 3500 RPM, and my oil pressure would drop from 80psi down down to 35psi. I tried lowering the oil level & raising the oil level, same problem. Even with the trap door baffles, and the other improvements I made! I was mainly looking for greater oil capacity, as I have never had an oil pressure problem with the stock style, front pickup oil pump & pan! So I picked up another oil pan, and modified it differently. I went back to a front pickup style HV Oil pump & pickup. This time I left the pan similar to original, with the stock windage, shieild in place. I boxed in the rear-bottom of the pan, installed 2 baffles, then made 2 small slots in the rear of the stock oil pan bottom, and also slotted the baffles in the boxed in area of the pan. I have a 7 1/2 quart capacity, and NO Oil pressure issues at all!

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
From all of the BBF Jet Boat guys that I have talked with about this. (prolly 40 or more) These being racers & enthusiests. Their are 2 aftermarket 460 pans that work flawlessly in HP BBF Engines in a jet boat enviornment. Steph's Oil Pans & Armandos Oil Pans. http://aroilpans.com/aboutus.html

Heres a couple shots of Armandos BBF Marine Pan.

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
and finaly a conclusion of at least what I experienced! Once again, I'm not knocking the other companies that make a version of the BBF Marine Oil Pans, or implying that a person couldn't modify one, and make it work! Just trying to share real world information, to help anyone from going through the grief of installing components that are supposed to "increase" your engines lifespan, not shorten it! Rory! I look forward to Deans mods to the Miloden Marine Pan! With his experience on these engines, I'm sure he can point out where the problem areas are with their design! :smile:

David
04-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Saving space for more of Steve's pictures :biggrin:

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Since I have to give Rory his money back on the Miloden I sold him, who should I market that 10qt. too?

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Since I have to give Rory his money back on the Miloden I sold him, who should I market that 10qt. too?

an I/O owner, a V-Drive owner, or a Monster Truck!

fkaracing
04-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Jason, don't worry about my pan...Dean said we can make it work...he has some modifications that will make it work like it should in a Jet Boat application. When we get to that point I will post up what we do to it :like:

78_Tahiti
04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Jason, don't worry about my pan...Dean said we can make it work...he has some modifications that will make it work like it should in a Jet Boat application. When we get to that point I will post up what we do to it :like: Been there! Done That! John Kaase was having so much trouble getting a wet sump pan to work, he put plexiglass panels in 3 after market BBF oil pans to see what the ... was going on!

If you really want to see what happens to the oil, in the pan of a jetboat. Go hit a garage sale & buy an old Aquarium, fill it 2/3 rds full of water, then go take a ride in your boat! The results are pretty amazing to say the least!!! More pics later!

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Jeez... sometimes this site is usefull and very helpfull and informative. Then every once in a while someone puts a picture in your head that makes you lay in bed and stare at the ceiling all night. And it wasnt Tater this time!

David
04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Been there! Done That! John Kaase was having so much trouble getting a wet sump pan to work, he put plexiglass panels in 3 after market BBF oil pans to see what the ... was going on!

If you really want to see what happens to the oil, in the pan of a jetboat. Go hit a garage sale & buy an old Aquarium, fill it 2/3 rds full of water, then go take a ride in your boat! The results are pretty amazing to say the least!!! More pics later!
What What What?

T8er S.
04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Jeez... sometimes this site is usefull and very helpfull and informative. Then every once in a while someone puts a picture in your head that makes you lay in bed and stare at the ceiling all night. And it wasnt Tater this time!
Thank God!!!:rockwoot:

78_Tahiti
04-10-2012, 01:49 AM
OK, I finished the first page of the thread! Rory, please post pics of Deans Mods to the Miloden Marine Pan! I'm sure there will be many an interested JetBoat Jockey interested in the fix! :like:

Ramjam
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I feel your pain! Can't wait to see the fix! Might give me some motivation to go back to an old project in waiting.:41616-4:

White Lightning
10-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Personally I have used this pan on my boat and have had zero problems with oil delivery:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20614/

Granted there is no dip stick provision on the pan but with a stock timing cover that wouldn't be a problem. Also, IMHO, this gasket is the ferschnizzle:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-41005/

Rob