PDA

View Full Version : Meet the twin Kona's

Jet Mad
02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Here are some pic's of probably the only 2 fully restored Berkeley Jet Kona's in South Africa.

My one is the red one, called "Prawn*" and the blue one is called "Buick".

I currently run a stock 460 Ford while the blue one is powered by a 383 Chevy.

Some pics with the original 455 Olds, the Ford engine is my back up motor.

Jet Mad

Jet Mad
02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
The Twins

David
02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Here are some pic's of probably the only 2 fully restored Berkeley Jet Kona's in South Africa.

My one is the red one, called "Prawn*" and the blue one is called "Buick".

I currently run a stock 460 Ford while the blue one is powered by a 383 Chevy.

Some pics with the original 455 Olds, the Ford engine is my back up motor.

Jet Mad
Hey welcome to VintageJetBoats.com Good to see more VJB's from around the world!!!
I'll get you added to the member page as well.

I'm guessing there's not many VJB's in S.A.?

Jet Mad
02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Davids,

There are a couple of Hamilton Jets that we know off, the 2 Kona's is the only one's that we know that is running at the moment. We know that 4 were brought in in the late seventies. They were originally used as speed skier tow boats. The other 2 hull's whereabouts is known to us, but they are in bad shape.

Wikus

Kona Kandi
02-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome. Kona's rule:rooster:

David
02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Davids,

There are a couple of Hamilton Jets that we know off, the 2 Kona's is the only one's that we know that is running at the moment. We know that 4 were brought in in the late seventies. They were originally used as speed skier tow boats. The other 2 hull's whereabouts is known to us, but they are in bad shape.

Wikus
Let's get a new revolution going in South Africa!!! Oooops I hope that doesn't get us on the terrorist watch list!!! :)

78_Tahiti
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the site JetMad! Nice looking Konas!

CheckmateJetmate74
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Nice Looking boats!

wolfie
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Cool stuff....I can't believe people would have more than one boat!!! It's perplexing. :biggrin:

"THE ADVOCATE"
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the site and keep us informed of whats going on on the other side of the world!! On a different note what does "buy a donkey" mean in South Africa? I have heard its thank you and/or an insult... I have never been there but would love to hit a beach and surf some of the longest swells I have ever seen on video. A tourist I know thought buy a donkey was thank you but a 90 year old woman neighbor (from Cape Town) laughed at me when I asked her what it meant, all she would say is kids like to curse!?

Jet Mad
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the site and keep us informed of whats going on on the other side of the world!! On a different note what does "buy a donkey" mean in South Africa? I have heard its thank you and/or an insult... I have never been there but would love to hit a beach and surf some of the longest swells I have ever seen on video. A tourist I know thought buy a donkey was thank you but a 90 year old woman neighbor (from Cape Town) laughed at me when I asked her what it meant, all she would say is kids like to curse!?

It is actually written in "Afrikaans" which is a mixture of German, French,Flemish and Dutch as "baie dankie" which means Thank you.

We actually have some of the best surfing spots in the world, thanks to the two oceans that meet at "Cape Aghulas" the southern most point of the African Continent, the Indian and Atlantic oceans. Huge surf.

Wikus

Jet Mad
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Cool stuff....I can't believe people would have more than one boat!!! It's perplexing. :biggrin:

Wolfie,

Between me and my best friend we actually own 7 jet powered boats, all inboards.

3 Berkeley Jets, 1 Seadoo 1800 Twin Rotex, 2 Hamilton Jets and 1 Wave Runner(Seadoo).

Wikus

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
It is actually written in "Afrikaans" which is a mixture of German, French,Flemish and Dutch as "baie dankie" which means Thank you.

We actually have some of the best surfing spots in the world, thanks to the two oceans that meet at "Cape Aghulas" the southern most point of the African Continent, the Indian and Atlantic oceans. Huge surf.

Wikus
Cool!!! How long can I surf bum on your couch before "baie dankie" makes your wife kick me out? LOL Are the hamilton jets as tough as advertised?

Jet Mad
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Cool!!! How long can I surf bum on your couch before "baie dankie" makes your wife kick me out? LOL Are the hamilton jets as tough as advertised?

Advocate,

You are more than welcome to crash at my place. The hamilton jets are as tough as nails, magnesium bronze impellers and not much that can go wrong with them.

A pic of my 753 Hamilton Jet unit. 3 stages.

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I saw some Hamiltons at a boat show the other day but they were single stage and the salesmen didnt know crap about them. How do those three stage work? Very nice by the way!!

78_Tahiti
03-01-2012, 03:21 PM
there are different choices Jason on impeller pitch so you can kind of develop the thrust your looking for (if you have the HP) with a big bonus of little or no cavitation! They work well in shallow streams, because the final (thrust) impy is always fed a good supply of water. from what I've been told!