PDA

View Full Version : Sad sight

roblock
10-16-2011, 08:48 PM
I've been seeing this old boat for years outside a barn in Ferndale Ca. We go by it on the way to a particular stretch of river we fish this time of year. I always thought is was a good looking hull, and I just did a Google search and its looks to be a 1964-65 Stevens...

Sad to see such a beautiful thing rotting :confused-smiley-013: Makes me think of the hundreds of such boats across the country that are pretty much beyond a feasable restoration

http://archive.vintagejetboats.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2251

http://archive.vintagejetboats.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2250

David
10-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm sure there are a bunch of boats like that all over the place...
There aren't enough of us to keep up with 'em either!!!

78_Tahiti
10-17-2011, 03:31 AM
But ya gotta admit Mouser does a pretty good job of saving or finding a good home for old flatties! :werd:

77GT
10-17-2011, 04:55 AM
If the boat is rotten, see if you can get the name plates off it. Someone will need it for their own restoration.

78_Tahiti
10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks like there are a lot of salvageable parts on the old girl!

roblock
10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
There were quite a few parts... all of the drivetrain stuff was in there. I didn't look real close but, yeah, the right person could use some of that for sure.

I was telling a friend who lives in Reno now about it, and he knew the exact boat and the family. The guy has collected junk for years and just hordes it. Just another rural junkyard of all kinds of stuff going to waste.

Still neat to see old boats though... I for one wouldn't mind seeing more pics of old boats like this one.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I learned a lesson Rob! I cut up my original Sleek Craft Sporster engine cover and threw it in a neighbors dumpster that he had for his new roof. I thought WHOO HOO! thats out of the garage. Before I met VJB.com I was talking about the beginning of my resto on another forum. I said I was going open engine compartment and a guy responded begging for that cover. He said he didnt have much money but would make payments and then we could worry about shipping or transport. Said he had been looking for a couple years for a complete original with hardware. I never responded, didnt know what to say....he probably thought I was a dick and he is right. On a lighter note, I have heard that original Sleek Craft name plates have made it from Utah to Oklahoma and back to Utah for three different boats!!!!!!!

wolfie
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Ouch :41616-4:!!!! One of my problems is I never throw anything away!!! That's a story you should have kept to yourself, Jason. One of these days a guy with an Aristocrat will be reading this and hire a group of Ninjas to take you out!! :biggrin:

78_Tahiti
10-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Ouch :41616-4:!!!! One of my problems is I never throw anything away!!! That's a story you should have kept to yourself, Jason. One of these days a guy with an Aristocrat will be reading this and hire a group of Ninjas to take you out!! :biggrin:
HAHAHA! Holloween would be the perfect cover too! Be carefull Jason!

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I know. But I had to get it off of my chest. That whole thing has been keeping me up at night for a while. If dude is out there right now I aplologize!!!!!! And I have been keeping an eye out for another one!!!!!!!!!!!

wolfie
10-20-2011, 04:19 PM
That thing might have fit Mike's boat...Better not let him find out!!! If he does, you'd better hope he doesn't take it out on you if he gets on with UHP!!!

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-20-2011, 04:37 PM
It would have fit Mikes boat. :zwhistle: It had air scoop, 2 storage bins and all the chrome hardware.
BUT WHO REALLY WANTS TO HIDE THE HEART OF THEIR BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused-smiley-013: Rookie mistake I guess, glad I have smart kids who will keep their fingers out of the engine! :biggrin:

wolfie
10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
It would have fit Mikes boat. :zwhistle: It had air scoop, 2 storage bins and all the chrome hardware.
BUT WHO REALLY WANTS TO HIDE THE HEART OF THEIR BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused-smiley-013: Rookie mistake I guess, glad I have smart kids who will keep their fingers out of the engine! :biggrin:

So now you know if Mike does get on with UHP, he's going to follow you to work every day!!!! Better hope he doesn't get on anywhere you're having to drive through after selling his engine cover!!!!!! :biggrin:

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-20-2011, 04:58 PM

So now you know if Mike does get on with UHP, he's going to follow you to work every day!!!! Better hope he doesn't get on anywhere you're having to drive through after selling his engine cover!!!!!! :biggrin:
I15 to 90th south going west or 215 to 201 going west every am! I like Mike and it will probably save me about $30 a month on coffee and donuts in the morning!!!!!!! See, karma works in strange ways! :)

wolfie
10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

I15 to 90th south going west or 215 to 201 going west every am! I like Mike and it will probably save me about $30 a month on coffee and donuts in the morning!!!!!!! See, karma works in strange ways! :)

Or it'll cost you another $30 buck a month in coffee and donuts if he gets on with West Valley or UHP!!! You might be meeting him at the donut shop every morning!!!

roblock
10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
BUT WHO REALLY WANTS TO HIDE THE HEART OF THEIR BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused-smiley-013:

You know, I have thought about that too... Though stock, my engine is the centerpiece. But my boat is unusual as far as the transom where it meets the engine cover. I've been toying with ideas to remove the cover easily...

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Isnt the boat flu fun Rob? :zwhistle: I have never given a second thought to keep anything I own stock or original, just like to tinker too much. And I cant afford a trailer queen and a tear into it boat, so the poor Sleek gets torn up and hopefully unique one day!!!

David
10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Isnt the boat flu fun Rob? :zwhistle: I have never given a second thought to keep anything I own stock or original, just like to tinker too much. And I cant afford a trailer queen and a tear into it boat, so the poor Sleek gets torn up and hopefully unique one day!!!
That Sleek is gonna look slick Jason... On the water this summer right???

wolfie
10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
As much crap as I give Jason, I am a little jealous of his ride. That sucker's going to look great on the water!!!

David
10-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm telling you man... He's was buttering me up telling me how fast my boat is so that he can kick my sorry butt when we're on the water together!!!

wolfie
10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Dang hustlers!!!!

roblock
10-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Stock can look really nice in some cases. I am happy with mine. But the flu is terrible... its never enough. I don't have to worry about tinkering too much. Momma has some sway... :zhug:

Oh and... no pun was intended regarding the sway... by the way :biggrin:

I just thought of something... How about a Rat-Rod boat? There must be some way to incorporate tractor tires

David
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Try this link Rob... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=174862042597906&set=a.118389824911795.29899.100002223346731&type=1&theater

wolfie
10-20-2011, 10:27 PM
No tractor tires on Jason's trailer. He's going with 30" rims and hydraulics and mounting florescent black lights under the trailer! He's making a donk out of his trailer! He's doing the chrome chain steering wheel on the boat and gold plating the exhaust. He's already ask for a gold grill from the dentist!

roblock
10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
:4_1_72:

One thing bad about the modern age... it terribly difficult to be original :4_12_2:

David
10-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Time to throw the flag... ~T

wolfie
10-20-2011, 10:32 PM
sorry... :41616-4:

Caddy Kid
11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Cool, I didn't know that Stevens made v-drives. I have the outboard version of that boat. Hull looks identical, only difference is it has a motor well and the steering is on the opposite side as mine. Thus far, that is only one of 3 Stevens that I have run across. Now that I have my Sidewinder I need to sell the Stevens, but its been a great boat. Thick fiberglass on that thing. My 16 footer weighs nearly 2k on the trailer. But at least no stress cracks!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd233/rodgerbr/dont%20delete/th_Photo0491.jpg (http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd233/rodgerbr/dont%20delete/Photo0491.jpg)

wolfie
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Cool, I didn't know that Stevens made v-drives. I have the outboard version of that boat. Hull looks identical, only difference is it has a motor well and the steering is on the opposite side as mine. Thus far, that is only one of 3 Stevens that I have run across. Now that I have my Sidewinder I need to sell the Stevens, but its been a great boat. Thick fiberglass on that thing. My 16 footer weighs nearly 2k on the trailer. But at least no stress cracks!

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd233/rodgerbr/dont%20delete/th_Photo0491.jpg (http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd233/rodgerbr/dont%20delete/Photo0491.jpg)

I knew about the Steven's flatbottoms and V-drives, but I never knew they had outboards.

Caddy Kid
11-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Mine is a '72, so maybe they added them later. Fun little boat, but with the built in fiberglass saddle tanks, you have to be sure to use ethanol free gas.

Sleek Freak
11-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I learned a lesson Rob! I cut up my original Sleek Craft Sporster engine cover and threw it in a neighbors dumpster that he had for his new roof. I thought WHOO HOO! thats out of the garage. Before I met VJB.com I was talking about the beginning of my resto on another forum. I said I was going open engine compartment and a guy responded begging for that cover. He said he didnt have much money but would make payments and then we could worry about shipping or transport. Said he had been looking for a couple years for a complete original with hardware. I never responded, didnt know what to say....he probably thought I was a *di(i(* and he is right. On a lighter note, I have heard that original Sleek Craft name plates have made it from Utah to Oklahoma and back to Utah for three different boats!!!!!!!

you didn't say you threw an Aristocrat hood in a dumpster did you?? I'm starting to twitch and shake and seeing bright colors..... :sign0068:

wolfie
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Get him Sleek!!!! When do we get to go after him with pitchforks, tar, and feathers??? :biggrin:

"THE ADVOCATE"
11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
It was a bonehead move for sure. :41616-4:

David
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
It was a bonehead move for sure. :41616-4:
I did the same thing Jason when I first got my boat... Engine was blown... I just popped another stock crate engine in...
About six months ago I met the guy that owned the boat before me and he said it had all kinds of work done to it and I should have saved the pistons, crank, rods, and heads and just got a new block...
Oh well...

wolfie
11-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Dang amateurs!!! :4_1_72:

David
11-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Dang amateurs!!! :4_1_72:
:furious3: :41616-4: I'm over it... It's cool now...

78_Tahiti
11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
It pays to keep your eyes open! As Dave knows! (your spare big block) I bought a SBC short block at a garage sale last year for $50. 4 bolt block, forged pistons, miloden pan, pump & pick-up, pink rods & forged crank! It now resides in a roll bar boat boat, that a friend bought. The engine in it had a window to allow the owner to see the oil level, or lack there of! Doh!

wolfie
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
I have a call into a guy that has 3 BBC's for sale, 2 454's and 1 396. I need a pair of heads so I may just call him. After all, you never know if all of a sudden you end up with something at your house that you'll need an engine for!!! :biggrin:

I think this is the guy I sold a gear drive to.

78_Tahiti
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice! I know what you mean! I have a 396, a 4 bolt 454, and a 460. I really should go through my shed. I know I have 3 sets of BBC heads and 2 sets of BBF heads. I guess Im just a collector. or Maybe I'm Addicted to Big Blocks! :sign0068:

"THE ADVOCATE"
11-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice! I know what you mean! I have a 396, a 4 bolt 454, and a 460. I really should go through my shed. I know I have 3 sets of BBC heads and 2 sets of BBF heads. I guess Im just a collector. or Maybe I'm Addicted to Big Blocks! :sign0068:
Its kind of ironic that you end up in a dark alley on the bad side of town when buying big blocks!!!!!

wolfie
11-27-2011, 05:31 PM

If you decide that you want to get rid of a set of BBC heads, let me know. I'm looking for a set!!!

78_Tahiti
11-27-2011, 09:27 PM
I'll pry open my shed door tommorrow Wolfie, and see what I've got in there. I honestly don't remember. I do know, none are rectangle port heads! From what I understand about BBC heads, The large Oval ports flow better to 6500 rpm, beyond that ya need the big boys! That statement should get this thread rolling! LOL!

75 eliminator
11-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I learned a lesson Rob! I cut up my original Sleek Craft Sporster engine cover and threw it in a neighbors dumpster that he had for his new roof. I thought WHOO HOO! thats out of the garage. Before I met VJB.com I was talking about the beginning of my resto on another forum. I said I was going open engine compartment and a guy responded begging for that cover. He said he didnt have much money but would make payments and then we could worry about shipping or transport. Said he had been looking for a couple years for a complete original with hardware. I never responded, didnt know what to say....he probably thought I was a *di(i(* and he is right. On a lighter note, I have heard that original Sleek Craft name plates have made it from Utah to Oklahoma and back to Utah for three different boats!!!!!!!

it didn't look like this did it????

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/ddaazz/camping020-1.jpg

wolfie
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
How about this???

78_Tahiti
11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I think those are both, pretty kool looking engine covers!

Sleek Freak
11-28-2011, 04:20 PM
:4_1_72:

guys look what I found in a dumpster!!!

wolfie
11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
I think I'm going to start sending the kid over to Jason's house around trash day to see if he's thrown anything else away that's good!!!

"THE ADVOCATE"
11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
It was different than all of those. The hood scoop only had a single cut out and it had ugly cubby bins on both sides of the engine access cover. I mostly feel bad for getting rid of the hardware... think the cover as a whole would be to small for most Sleeks. Never have found anyone else with a Sporster or one for sale. Pretty Sleek looking hull though!!