PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brakes

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Has anyone ever retro fitted either surge or electric brakes on your trailer? Mine has none and I would like some. Double axle trailer with Bearing Buddies that I would like to keep. Thanks Jason.

wolfie
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I would think it could be done. I think Camping World has some stuff. Just have to weld a new hitch onto it and axles that could take the brakes. probably cheaper to find one already set up for it though.

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
The tounge is bolted and the axles are braced plenty strong. Kinda wondering about if the wheels get pushed out and if I have to get new spindles and bearings. I have a weld machine, anything can happen.

David
10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I was talking to Steve about it yesterday. I think the axles are already set up with the four bolt pattern to attach the back plate. Cut the tongue off and weld/bolt the new one on and plumb it.

77GT
10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I would think it could be done. I think Camping World has some stuff. Just have to weld a new hitch onto it and axles that could take the brakes. probably cheaper to find one already set up for it though.

Are you describing a surge brake setup.

If you go electric, the hitch does not need to be changed.

wolfie
10-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sure that the spindles would have to be retro fit for the braking system. The hitch and plumbing I would think would be easy for you. I just don't know what it would take on the spindles.

David
10-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Are you describing a surge brake setup.

If you go electric, the hitch does not need to be changed.
Steve said the problem with electric is that you can't back in with 'em hooked up because you'll burn 'em up. They aren't sealed like the lights are.

Sleek Freak
10-15-2011, 01:03 PM
see if you can ID your axle brand. you can buy a conversion kit for most. I think I would stay away from the surge system if your going new.

78_Tahiti
10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
surge brakes are a breeze to install. you just cut off the current coupler, and bolt or weld on the surge model. run a metal brake line, then a conecter hose. You can go with a disc kit or a drum kit. Disc kit is easier if it has no brakes now. as the rotors are the new hubs! :)

78_Tahiti
10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I recomend a reverse bypass solenoid! when the tow vehicle is in reverse it bypasses the brake master cyl. so you can back the trailer uphill with no issues!

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Thank you men! Will send pics of progress to David so he can post em for me! :biggrin:

David
10-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Thank you men! Will send pics of progress to David so he can post em for me! :biggrin:
Gonna have to get Sidnee a membername on here so she can upload pics for daddy!!! LMAO!!!

wolfie
10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
surge brakes are a breeze to install. you just cut off the current coupler, and bolt or weld on the surge model. run a metal brake line, then a conecter hose. You can go with a disc kit or a drum kit. Disc kit is easier if it has no brakes now. as the rotors are the new hubs! :)

Well, there you go, Jason. Got it from two people that really know what's going on!!!! Steve & Sleek!!! :rockwoot:

H20MOFO
10-16-2011, 09:04 AM
You guys have breaks on your trailers. :4_12_2: :zz22_yikes: :zwhistle: Call metalcraft....They should be able to quote ya on electric. It was less than I thought...but that was 3 boats ago...cant remember.

wolfie
10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Mine is set up with surge brakes but I'm not sure that they're working. That's another off season project.

78_Tahiti
10-17-2011, 03:19 AM
electric trailer brakes only work with vehicles wired for them. Surge work with any vehicle you tow it with. The only part that needs to be added to your existing axle, is a 4 bolt plate, that gets welded to the axle tube, just behind where the seal rides on the spindle, with your current hubs.
http://ebiz.wholesaletrailer.com/2010/picturescategory/2_HRCM-12KIT.jpg