PDA

View Full Version : Holley Electric Fuel Pumps

78_Tahiti
10-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I run a Holley Blue Electric fuel pump in my boat. I have heard of many failures with this pump. The pump just locks up, for no apparent reason. Well, there is a reason. Most Electric Fuel Pumps PUSH Fuel fine, they just DONT Draw fuel well if mounted above the tank. For this reason, mounting a fuel filter/seperator after the pump works best for the carbs to remain moisture free & make sure fuel volume is consistant. However, I recomend a See-thru Filter before the pump to keep out any Debris from the tanks. These pumps use 4 metal vanes (like a carbonator pump or smog pump) to move the liquid. The way the brass screen in the pump is placed. It is possible for Debris to get by the screen and stop the pump. Heres a picture of how small the amount of Debris it took to stop my fuel pump.

carreradude
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I have the holley black pump. It has been in service for at least 3 years. I have never been happy with this POS pump. It is the most inconsistant pump I have ever used. I run a relay with it. Some days it will run at my 7lb set point. Other days, like Melones for example it ran at 4lbs the whole time I was there. If I have a real long run, it sometimes creeps up to the set point. I know it isn't the regulator or the guage. I have replaced them with no change. Plus it is the noisiest pump I have ever had. I will never ever replace it with another holley pump. :eusasmiles:

jetboatperformance
10-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Just expirienced yet another Holley/Red/Black pump failure (1 of several) along with a Holley regulator , Its not likley that I will ever buy or install another. We have used and advocated Holley products for years but this latest discouraged me , He Replace my pump on my Blown Jet with an Aeromotive pump , spendy but better than being left stranded Tom

wolfie
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I had a Holley regulator on my boat for about 30 seconds!!! That thing leaked like a son of a gun!!!!

78_Tahiti
10-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I feel everyones pain! Mine quit after hooking up another boat to tow in! :furious3: I like the Aeromotive stuff Tom, but damn their stuff is spendy! What ever happened to the quality Facet pumps? I had a pump off an old light plane (piper or cessna) used it for 15 years!

Mike I agree with noisy! This Holley Blue Pump is very loud! There is another pump out there that I have heard many good things about. Stewart Race Pumps. $10 rebuild kits, all billet aluminum design. A really forward thinking company. But still, $300 for a fuel pump! Heres a link: http://www.racepumps.com/CircleTrackIndex.html

FBT
10-07-2011, 09:26 PM
My Brother in law runs a '68 Mustang strip car, full interior and all exterior trim.
347 stroker, 10 inch tire, trick heads and a trick Aussie intake.
He has been working on it for years and now has it in the low 9.80's, 134 MPH
There has been a real collapse in the quality of the Holley pumps in the last 10 years, he had no trouble with them for a long time then they went offshore, or something, because we went through no less than two in one weekend at a paying race last time I was in SoCal. His buddies are experiencing the same thing. Failures one after another. They have all gone away from the Holley Pumps.
I would not mind having one for a spare or something, but I think we will have to spring for something else for the boat.

jetboatperformance
10-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I feel everyones pain! Mine quit after hooking up another boat to tow in! :furious3: I like the Aeromotive stuff Tom, but damn their stuff is spendy!

Steve agreed on the $$, I had to weight the frustration of being stranded by an undependable component vs the cost , I get little precious time to drive/test/tune so the better quality won out , Ironic part is I left the Holly regulator to use it with the Aero pump and developed problems with the regulaotr secondarily :(

CheckmateJetmate74
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey guys, just had a question.. I was thinking about Changing over to a Electric Fuel pump in my boat, was looking at the Aeromotive 11212 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-11212/ wasn't sure if this is a good pump to go with? and about a mounting location of the pump, does it have to be lower than the tank? any help or what some of you would recommend , maybe pics of how you guys have your fuel pumps mounted. thanks

78_Tahiti
02-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Yes! Thats a great pump. Since it self regulated @ 7psi it should work fine with any carbs you want to supply fuel to! Biggest thing to remember with electric pumps, "They Don't Suck Well" they can push fuel a long ways. The Ideal mounting for one of these is near the tank, as close as practical, to the bottom of the tank. If you have a bow tank, its easy. Can be a little more challenging with side tanks. I have mine mounted about 6" above the bottom on the transom. Still low enough to create a siphoning effect from the tanks, not so low to be underwater should I unexpetedly take on a couple waves over the transom. :smile:

CheckmateJetmate74
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I will most likely go with this pump, going to have to redo the whole fuel system, one good thing is the engine it out of the boat right now so I can figure out where to move everything, I will take some pics of it when its do but will prob be a few weeks before i get to it. the Mechanical pump is not cutting it anymore, had to put a cheap electric from autozone inline with the holley mech to finish off last summer. Hopefully this will work out..

78_Tahiti
03-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Nice! well post up some pics! I love to see how people configure their Boats!

454 blue boat
03-08-2012, 06:38 AM
In the old days those holleys were great but not anymore .I would never use one again ,My family and I use the Mallory 140 or the 250 they are quite and always work I even have a 20- 25 yr old one that still works great and you can have them rebuilt too

Sleek Freak
03-08-2012, 02:46 PM
my holley has never been a problem but maybe I better plan for some?

wolfie
03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been looking into replacing mine with an alcohol friendly fuel pump. With all the ethanol they're putting into the fuel now, I hear the older style gas only pumps are breaking down faster.

T8er S.
04-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Quick question, my brother has a holley electric fuel pump on his kona, it's not pumping but gets hot as all get out, what should we check?:4_12_2:

David
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Clogged?

T8er S.
04-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Possibly, but it doesn't make a sound when you turn the key on. I took the bottom off to look for junk didn't see anything, also when I found out how hot it was. LOL

David
04-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Something could possibly be jammed in there not allowing the pump to spin?

T8er S.
04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Make sense, guess we'll dig a little deeper. Thanks David.:thumbs20up:

78_Tahiti
04-08-2012, 10:31 AM
pull it off tater and pull it apart. there is really not mutch to them. its just a permanent magnet motor for the drive section. take out the pump parts, then connect the pump to 12 volts, see if it spins up! These little motors are not very powerful. spray a little WD-40 into it as well and see if it will spin up. Mine locked up solid, with just those little pieces of cork gasket in the dirst pic! Couldn't believe it!

T8er S.
04-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys, we'll give that a whirl!