PDA

View Full Version : Milky grey gear oil ?

MID-LAKE-CRISIS
10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey there, new to the site and really enjoying it. My first season of jet boating winding down and noticed my gear oil has turned a milky gray color. My Panther manual suggests that it is most likely a water seal failure. I ordered and received a new seal and now will attempt the replacement. Just looking for any dos/donts, easy/pain in the a*#. thanks for any input/comments Vic

78_Tahiti
10-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Replacing the carbon seal in a Panther is a little bit of a pain. but its not terribly difficult.
WATER SEAL REMOVAL
1. Remove Drive Cover, exit section and related hardware.
2. Remove Impeller and impeller key taking note of any impeller shims. 3. Remove water seal spring retainer cap and spring.
4. Slide the rubber and stainless steel collar off the shaft using a pick or pliers. 5. Slide the carbon seal off the shaft using a pick.
6. Raise the bow of the boat so as to lower the Drive Unit as far as possible. 7. Plug the lower vent hole iii the bearing cap.
8. Apply low pressure air to the upper vent hole.
9. Using a chisel or screw driver, bread the ceramic seal and remove all broken pieces.
10. Clean the area to insure that no ceramic particles are left on the shaft or inside the shaft faring.
11. Remove plug from the lower bearing cap.

WATER SEAL INSTALLATION
1. Carefully remove the water seal from its packaging.
2. Using a heavy gade oil (90 weight is fine) apply it to the inside and outside of ceramic seal. Very, Very carefully slide the seal down the shaft rubber end first. The seal must go down the shaft straight so as not to chip it. Very carefully, press the seal into the shaft faring until it is seated.
3. The carbon seal is nestled into the rubber seal and has ears that match the inside of rubber seal. Separate the two seals carefully and apply grease to the flat surface of the carbon seal and matching the ears up to the rubber seal put them back together. This was done to hold the two seals together as they slide down the drive shaft.
4. Spread oil around the inside of the two seals and slide them down the shaft until they seat against the ceramic seal.
5. Slide the water seal spring and spring retainer down the drive shaft.
6. NOTE: If you have a G Model, the spring retainer must be slotted for the woodruff key and the key must be installed before the spring and retainer.

MID-LAKE-CRISIS
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response and detailed steps. Vic

78_Tahiti
10-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the quick response and detailed steps. Vic
No problem man! :yesnod: Glad to help if we can! Put up a couple pictures of your Great White North JetBoat! We love pictures!

"THE ADVOCATE"
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm glad Vic could follow all of that!! :4_12_2: Why are anything related to felines so complicated? :confused-smiley-013:

78_Tahiti
10-05-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm glad Vic could follow all of that!! :4_12_2: Why are anything related to felines so complicated? :confused-smiley-013:
I think its because Kittys Love & Hate you at the same time. :zwhistle: