PDA

View Full Version : Welding aluminum

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry David, got 2 more calls about the best way to weld that up while trying to start post. First piece of advice is I got some numbers of guys that know what they are doing.
First you need a high frequency machine. Second is the gas question for tig set up. One guy says argon is fine but another says argon helium mix. Also have to grind tungstens flat instead of pointed.MACHINE SET UP IS CRITICAL! Check with weld supply for the correct rod, they will test your metals and get the right chemistry.
Anyway, it can be done right.

David
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
So billet aluminum and cast aluminum ( an fittings) can be welded together correct?

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes! Just not real easy. Trust the guy you are having do the work.

David
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
will do... TY sir!!!

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Especially on a plumbing project. Dissamiliar metals(even though both aluminum) dont like to bond. One pin hole and you got a leak. Over my pay grade but some damn good welders referred to better welders.

jwallmuth
03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
what are we welding together here?

David
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I wanna put -8an fittings on this to use as my dump for engine, header bypass, and bilge on the unit pictured below.
I currently have two dumps and this unit will span the two current ones by elongating the hole.
This is billet aluminum and the -8an are cast aluminum correct?

http://santanainteriors.com/products/accessories/oval_slot_bezel.gif

jwallmuth
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
AN fittings are aluminum, and it can be done, but there is going to be so much cleaning of the welds to make it look pretty. you might want to consider making it out of stainless and have it tig welded together rather then heliarc or welded with an aluminum spool gun. is that just an oval shaped bezel of some sort?

David
03-14-2011, 07:30 AM
I might have another way to put the AN fittings on that oval bezel. Once I get the piece in my hand I can have a better look at putting it together.

77GT
03-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Mount the fittings on a piece of sheet material, lay the bezel on the sheet and fill with epoxy.

David
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I just talked to the machine shop that made them.... Meeting them this afternoon to just make me one out of billet.

jwallmuth
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I just talked to the machine shop that made them.... Meeting them this afternoon to just make me one out of billet.

there you go, just have the whole thing cut out on an CNC machine, that will look slick, then get it chrome plated!!!!

78_Tahiti
03-14-2011, 05:37 PM

All the machine shop needs to do is not cout out the entire middle section, then tap it with three 1/2" pipe thread holes! nice idea BTW

David
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

All the machine shop needs to do is not cout out the entire middle section, then tap it with three 1/2" pipe thread holes! nice idea BTW

Thanks Steve
Dropped off the drawings this afternoon, he's gonna whip two of 'em out for me. It may get just a tad wider because I want to have the capability of four outlets. If it looks like it's a sellable item after posting some pics I may have him buzz off a few more.

Even if you have three dumps you can put a nice plug in the unused opening from the inside and it will still look very clean.

jwallmuth
03-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks Steve
Dropped off the drawings this afternoon, he's gonna whip two of 'em out for me. It may get just a tad wider because I want to have the capability of four outlets. If it looks like it's a sellable item after posting some pics I may have him buzz off a few more.

Even if you have three dumps you can put a nice plug in the unused opening from the inside and it will still look very clean.

yeah there you go

David
03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Went up to Placerville to pick up my new billet overboard dump...
There was a lapse of communication on my part because it wasn't what I wanted.
We went over things and they are going to generate a cad drawing before making the next piece.
I was hoping to get that in today... :(

78_Tahiti
04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I think you guys are over engineering it here, get a piece of billet or extruded alu-men-ee-ummm. say say 4"x 2"x 2", mark a centerline long ways, mark and edge, say 1/4" around the border, from the inside of the border center 4 pilot holse for tapping for AN Fittings, then have him ball mill out the center area, about 1", flip it over, ball mill 3/4" deep, 1/4" wide around the perimiter! Done!

David
04-03-2011, 04:24 PM
That sounds way too easy.... :)

H20MOFO
04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I was about to start a thread about welding aluminum then remembered this one. Long story short I would like to try to weld up my fixture...or what ever you want to call it that my back seat bolts too. Would like to at least tack it in place while its bolted up to my stringers. Can't thin 1/8th " or so alum be welded up with wire feed? I dont own a gas bottle....do thay have alum wire for the wire feed with flux so I dont need gas?

78_Tahiti
04-14-2011, 04:44 PM
problem with welding aluminum is atmosphere at the weld, and all the trash thats in the aluminum cause its so porus. You need Argon to create a clean sheild around the weld, and even for a few seconds as it kools. the easiest way is with a spool gun, but you still need argon gas. It also takes a lot more current to weld aluminum. Jason just got an aluminum welder! Hit him up!

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Give me a call MOFO, got a portable welder and a full bottle of gas, just got to get some rod when praxair is open!

78_Tahiti
04-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Hey Jason! I gave David 2 pieces of billet aluminum plates to weld to his billet bezels. This should make it a lot easier then trying to stick together cast aluminum plate & billet! The 2 flat pieces are not anodized or treated (6061, etc) The bezels are prolly anodized clear! So where your going to weld on the back, needs to be hit with a disc grinder or sander, then right before you start to weld (even if just tacking) hit the area with a stainless steel wire brush! :4_12_2: Even though you cant see it, Bare aluminum starts to oxidize in about 5 minutes! Take lots of Pictures!

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-15-2011, 01:51 AM
OK? THIN material to thick? Keep it clean. Got it. Heat? Will figure it out. Question is should I bevel the thick material and run stringers (or a stringer)to the thin, aroot pass hot pass cap. Hopefully I will know first hand in a day, until then I should quit thinking like a stick welder! Push on the tig(gas is in front) experement with speed and heat. Got it! For a mellow guy people wonder why I cant sleep. CAUSE SOME PEOPLE WANT NICE STUFF! and I get fired for nothin.

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Sorry, didnt get fired this decade. They just keep my bonuses. :bs:

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-15-2011, 02:11 AM
If the last two posts have anyone wondering......ITS TAX DAY :censored_125[1]: Once again my poor middle class iron working rut ass is getting reamed. "Heads back down men!" Back to work!!!!!! Somebody has to do it :confused-smiley-013:

78_Tahiti
04-15-2011, 05:13 AM
on aluminum keep the tungsten towards the thick stuff, use the pedal for heat, its a rythem with aluminum. its kind of like oxy acet. welding thin steel tubing with filler rod. except theres not much color change. another thing, AL heats quick and kools quick! kind of fussy! LOL!

H20MOFO
04-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Give me a call MOFO, got a portable welder and a full bottle of gas, just got to get some rod when praxair is open!

Thanks man....gonna have to come see ya one of these 1st days. :cheers:

78_Tahiti
04-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Heres a link to your welder Jason! there are 3 vidoes on aluminum basics, they are short & will help!
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/product.php?model=M00152

Enjoy!

David
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I visited Bill Morgan's Southwind shop today with a piece of aluminum and my bezel.
Steve Mac gave me some material but I needed something thicker to pull this off.

After some time to engineer this he went to work on this custom piece and got me just what I needed.
I just need to polish it up a bit more and it good to go...

I didn't send this up to you Jason because I wasn't sure If I could describe what I was needing...
Bill's shop is really close to me and I knew with the pieces in my hand I could tell him exactly what I was looking to do...

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Damn! No work and no pressure! You are are a hard man to please David! I need more of these jobs.

78_Tahiti
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow those bezels are smaller then I thought they were! Looks good though. Seeing that opens the doors to more possibilities you know. Let me know when you buy a vertical mill David! I'll mill you out a bunch of those ore anything else you can think of! :happy2:

David
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm ordering my new mill today... It's going into my new shop... In my dreams!!! LOL

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Just built a crane access platform in a beautiful shop at the mine. 3 axis mill cnc, probably weighs 16,000 lb. They use it for a drill press. :bs:

78_Tahiti
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Just built a crane access platform in a beautiful shop at the mine. 3 axis mill cnc, probably weighs 16,000 lb. They use it for a drill press. :bs:

Its amazing the mindset out there these days. Im sure they're thinking "we dont want to have to pay a machinest, Old Bobs pretty handy, lets see if he can work that thing"

"THE ADVOCATE"
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Even worse. Green button red button. Those guys know how to use it I think, the union wont let em.