PDA

View Full Version : Ugly old cover

roblock
03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I understand these are not currently available. Its all there, and was on the boat when I picked it up. kind of a gastly thing. But the more I ponder it, I am lucky to have it.

Hate it? :sign0068:

Good! That's why I am putting it on. A little piece of history...

[smg id=985]

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
HANG ON TO IT!!!! A poor guy about had a stroke when he found out I cut up and threw away my engine cover for Sleek Craft Sportster that still had all the origanal hardware. My bad.

David
03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Yours is way nicer looking than mine!!! You wanna get rid of it you let me know!!!

jetboatperformance
03-03-2011, 08:20 PM
I understand these are not currently available. Its all there, and was on the boat when I picked it up. kind of a gastly thing. But the more I ponder it, I am lucky to have it.

Hate it? :sign0068:

Good! That's why I am putting it on. A little piece of history...

[smg id=985]

One thing expirience tell me with the Growling Kitty Jets is.... that without that handsome cover the Panthers look cool but will likley put so much H20) back up into your Float it can put the fire out in any motor with a rear positioned Dizzy just Sayin.. Tom

roblock
03-03-2011, 08:47 PM
One thing expirience tell me with the Growling Kitty Jets is.... that without that handsome cover the Panthers look cool but will likley put so much H20) back up into your Float it can put the fire out in any motor with a rear positioned Dizzy just Sayin.. Tom

LOL... growling kitty eh? You still trying to sell me that new drive shaft?

I really want one, but I mean it... I have a budget. But a really nice guy did tell me about a temporary fix with silicon.

btw, I did notice some spray in one of Steve's videos, is that what you are talking about?

And where can I pick up a copy of 'Jet Boat Slang for Dummmies? ...What's a 'rear positioned Dizzy'?

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
DIZZY =distributor.

jetboatperformance
03-03-2011, 08:52 PM

And where can I pick up a copy of 'Jet Boat Slang for Dummmies? ...What's a rear positioned dizzy?

Your in amoungt some great teachers right here :) re rear position dizzy = distributor in the rear :) Tom

BTW when you mentioned "ugly Old Cover " for a minute I thought you were talking 'bout my first wife

roblock
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
BTW when you mentioned "ugly Old Cover " for a minute I thought you were talking 'bout my first wife

:zz22_yikes:

Fortunately, I still have my first wife (although it was before the boat... hmm)

But remembering my history... when she got her drivers license, she drove a Roadrunner that her folks had. Lucky girl...

So, (check this out) the kids were commenting on the 'funny but good smell' of the exhaust when I brought it home and fired it up for her. I said to them like any good Dad would, "yup! Smells alot like that old Roadrunner your Mom used to drive!"

The kids looked at her for some kind of clue as to what I was talking about, and she just grinned.

Gotta know how to play em boys :zhug:

btw Tom, I will call tommorrow about those 4 hole manifold/riser gaskets to check size (unless you already know they are all the same). I need 4 of them.

78_Tahiti
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Like Tom said! Because of Panthers steering/reverse setup, you can SOAK anyone riding in back! The cover hides this little design flaw. Oh! Yeah! and Panther claims it makes a step to get in the boat! Even after owning mine over 20 years, I don't think I would be stepping on it to get in or out of my float. It may make an interesting "Seat" if you were so inlined! :nana:

David
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I step on mine all the time!!! I've even let some big boys use it to get in my float.... That thing is pretty sturdy!!!

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Steve, you are an inparation! You or David need to mount a giant set of steer horns on the bow of the boat and start VJB rodeo!!!! I will sit on the cover and go for a ride!

David
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
You can just pretend my headers are horns and hold on tight... K?

78_Tahiti
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Steve, you are an inparation! You or David need to mount a giant set of steer horns on the bow of the boat and start VJB rodeo!!!! I will sit on the cover and go for a ride!
Ya know david! I bet we could prolly really spike youtubes ratings with a "Riding a JetBoat By The Horns" Video! and its prolly still legal in Utah! LOL!

roblock
03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
ok, so the main reason for the cover is the spray... It is still a very solid platform. Makes a good step for sure. A guy with good balance could stand on it while the boat was on the plane and pretend to surf. Try THAT with a Berk!!!

Seriously, I'm just going for original here... I only showed the good side of the cover. The other side has some sticker peel. But a friend of mine is a local artist and has a background with graphic design and such. He picked it up, and is going to partially redo the decals, and touch up the paint on the placard. It will look better than new.

I can't wait...

78_Tahiti
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Nice! The original cover my boat had was trashed! I managed to scrounge up a very nice one a couple of years ago. The only thing that it is missing is the decals. The original Panther emblem is in great shape though! In an effort to show a little more pump, yet still keep the hard steering/reversing spray out of the boat, I have been playing with a couple ideas for a little more modern cover. But then again, I have never been good at leaving well enough alone! :werd:

roblock
03-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I have been playing with a couple ideas for a little more modern cover. But then again, I have never been good at leaving well enough alone! :werd:

Haha...

One's mind does tend to wander about such things...

I am looking forward to hitting the lake. I for one had not seen or noticed a panther jet (cover and all) until this boat. Struck me as odd...

Best thing is, the exhaust goes through the insert on this boat (and under the cover). It's truely rare... Through hull, but not visibly.

I can't afford a hot rod, so I am happy to have something Very unique...

78_Tahiti
03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
And Proud you should be! In a world where the norm seems to enjoy copies and clones of everything! Our unique styles of water craft were truly fueled by individuals passion for the love of boating! and creating unique styles and versions of water craft by hand. As opposed to a robot made Camry or any one of 20 other automobile marquees that look just like one!

roblock
03-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Up in the middle of the night with the flu... not good :confused-smiley-013:

But I did get the first photo of what my friend did with the cover thus far. Let me know what you think...

[smg id=1077]

Planning to pin stripe the boat to match.

roblock
03-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I shoud have waited until he was finished...

[smg id=1078]

David
03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Pat your buddy on the back.... Nice job!!!
Did he use some plastic paint to re-do the black?

roblock
03-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, he gets some kudos for sure. Got a good eye.

The cover was already in really good shape. I had cleaned it with this stuff called 'Car Brite MAX GLOSS' that a co-worker gave me a few years ago. I don't even know where to buy it. But it works wonders on platic trim.

So the black was already clean when I gave him the cover. He did comment that he had a heck of a time getting paint to stick. So we'll see how long it last under use. I believe he used a combination of decals and paint.

David
03-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Cool... I will look for that...

78_Tahiti
03-19-2011, 02:37 PM
looks good, I like the design.

jetboatperformance
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Very Nice Looks Great ! Tom

roblock
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Got a new pic today... this old friend of mine is blowing me away with the cover... He redid the placard, and added a silver stripe to define the step.

David
03-25-2011, 09:14 PM
That ain't no "Ugly old cover"!!!! Nice looking cover!!!

roblock
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
LOL @ David...

No kidding, I should have titled the thread differently. But how was I to know it would evolve this way???

The guy has thoroughly exceeded my expectations. He needs to put these skills to professional use...

roblock
03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
You know, TheAdvocate has some good advice in another thread... he basically said to get it in the water and save some work for next season... Well, it would be nice to fully restore the old boat, and I would like to... but my buddy is setting a pretty tough pace with the cover.

I'll have to change some of my cheap ways to keep that bar high :rockwoot:

78_Tahiti
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Man the swim step/cover is looking sharp! If you keep going to the other end of the boat, its gonna be "Super Nice"

Publknme
03-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Very nice work, is that a Led Zeppelin box set I see next to it in one pic?
HAHA

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Dont let me bring you down Rob! After a 5 month wait the boat is finally back in the garage today! I will never get her show room pretty in a month so I will put her together unpolished and enjoy! Since I will be buried in this boat I have years too get everything perfect!!!!!!!! :cheers: P.S. When can I come ride the cover? :happy2:

roblock
03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Budget is what limits me... I don't mind taking the time to use some elbow grease while I have the motivation. And I am waiting for the bilge stringers to dry so I can treat them. Got a heater in their today, so hopefully that will help. Plenty to do in the mean time, and I'm in the zone. Once I burn out though... I'm usually done for some time.

78_Tahiti
03-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Your doing great! I'm anxious to see how it looks with all that shiny hardware installed that you've been polishing!