PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Tahiti Needs Paint Job

Bansheemaniac
09-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Hello,

I'm looking at a 20' 1980 tahiti locally, and the current owner had his mind set on making it a drag boat, so he was in the process of removing the lights, cleats, rails, etc. and filling the holes with fiberglass bondo. The sanding on it from this work is sub par and there are gouges from an orbital sander in many places and its really uneven. So im looking to buy the boat, but i know that its going to need extensive patch and prep before even thinking of paint. We were hoping to get ahold of some shops that could do this work for us and paint, or re-Gel the hull ( and get some quotes) . Im located in Western Pennsylvania, near pittsburgh.

Thanks,

Lance

H20MOFO
09-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Hello,

I'm looking at a 20' 1980 tahiti locally, and the current owner had his mind set on making it a drag boat, so he was in the process of removing the lights, cleats, rails, etc. and filling the holes with fiberglass bondo. The sanding on it from this work is sub par and there are gouges from an orbital sander in many places and its really uneven. So im looking to buy the boat, but i know that its going to need extensive patch and prep before even thinking of paint. We were hoping to get ahold of some shops that could do this work for us and paint, or re-Gel the hull ( and get some quotes) . Im located in Western Pennsylvania, near pittsburgh.

Thanks,

Lance

Do you have any pics? You could probably save some $ if you prepped it yourself. Hopefully the previous owner wasnt filling holes with bondo with out glassing then in first.
I try to keep all body filler to a min. Gel is more durable.....and probably gonna be more money especially if you are wanting more than one color.
I have done single stage enamel, base coat clear coat, and urethane paint.
What pump is in the boat...motor ect. The way the economy is you may end up better off getting something done....or farther along.

Bansheemaniac
09-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Ya I'm not completely sure if he glassed it or not before the bondo. I doubt it..... the boat is titled as a 1980 tahiti and the tag on the hull I believe was from bell industries tahiti division i believe. I did not take any pics when I was there, I wish I did. The boats got a built 460 with Berkeley pump.