PDA

View Full Version : Texas title questions

texanboy
03-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Got a buddy who wanted to get into jet boats. I found a 20 ft Hawaiian down n Houston that was hull and pump only for cheap. Gave him info and he called to find out the guy had a story about selling for someone else and didn't have title but could get it. Ya ya I know. Told my buddy do not buy w out title n hand. Long story short he believed the guy and few months later gets a title n mail. Title says mariah 18 ft. Boat is definitely a Hawaiian and not 18ft. Bout the only thing correct on title is the color yellow. Lol. I have looked into the bonded title thing and texas parks and wildlife made it seem impossible. The seller tried telling my buddy to just change the hin on the boat to match title. Is that not fraud. What should I tell him to do next? I want to begin restoring boat with him but title issues must be fixed first. Around here nice hills come up for sale all the time for a few hundred bucks with no title. They sit on Craig's list forever cause of how difficult it is to register em. Any help appreciated. It is a really cool boat. Hate to see another one parted out and trashed

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-03-2016, 08:47 PM
I have heard of people looking for and selling titles on these old hulls. Long story short is be very careful! I believe it is always Texas and California guys that need to do this to make it quick and cheap. In Texas I have read you have to jump through some hoops, show a bill of sale to the fish and game? and plead your case. I have also heard its a lot easier to register in Oklahoma without title. On a side note, without knowing the year of the hull, Hawaiian and Mariah are connected through the jet boat osmosis of interconnectivity. Might be a real document.

T8er S.
03-04-2016, 04:53 AM
Is it a Texas title, if so no problem just go get tags. It's when you go to a different state they check the hin.
:zwhistle:

Sleek Freak
03-04-2016, 08:00 AM
I'd have the DMV run the hin# just to verify its not stolen. it would suck to surrender the boat to the owner after you sink a ton of work and money in it. tell the DMV what's going on with your deal. you may need them to do a proof of ownership letter to the last registered owner. if its off the computer records they may issue title anyway. I would make it look like the biggest POS I could then take it to the DMV for inspection . no one cares when its a POS but after you get it fixed up and nice everyone cares.

AG6
03-04-2016, 08:17 AM
I found this article on the 'new' Mariah web site. It doesn't look too promising, but maybe you can contact Sea Fox boats? Dean.
http://www.mariahboatsuk.co.uk/making_of_mariah.php

texanboy
03-04-2016, 03:47 PM
advocate

u mention Hawaiian and Mariah were connected somehow. That's what I was looking for on the web. I know they are both jet boats but I couldn't find anywhere that they were ever owned or made together. The title I think is real, just doesn't match his boat. So I guess we could get tags for it w this title but if it were ever looked up by parks and wildlife close enough , they would see the tags didn't belong on that boat. I guess next step would be to go to tpwd and float the story by them n see what they say.

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-04-2016, 07:09 PM
You would have to ask Old Rigger about the chain of brands that preceded Mariah. I cant remember the thread but I thought Hawaiian was a spin off shop from Tahiti and changed to Mariah in the '80s. I am probably wrong since I usually am. I got to thinking about it some more and if the lengths don't match title to hull, I would do the research! Good luck, post some pics.

Sleek Freak
03-04-2016, 08:03 PM
if you haven't done a search on the Hin# on the boat and on the title
hin# post it and we can help. then you'll know exactly what you have. Texas may go after the seller for ya, maybe he will produce the correct title for them or make it easier for you to get your costs back.

Sleek Freak
03-04-2016, 09:14 PM
The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is vxx. This MIC (vxx) stands for the company name Mariah Boats, Inc which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (vxx sometimes goes by these name(s) Magnum Marine, Inc, , , or .This company (Mariah Boats, Inc) is owned by and is located at 2521 QUINCY in DALLAS state of TX. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The parent company for this boat maker is (). Mariah Boats, Inc has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of and went out of business on (03/07/1979 0:00) in the following country

Sleek Freak
03-04-2016, 09:26 PM
you may not want to put to much personal information across the web (previous owner name address etc.) on the title?

texanboy
03-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks sleek. Ya I read all that online too. Just couldn't find anything where mariah and Hawaiian were one in the same. The boat he bought says Hawaiian and hin on it does not match title the guy mailed him. Plus lengths are different. I'll go to tpwd Monday and see what they say. I'm sure this title belongs to another boat and the seller just tried to pass it off to get my buddy to leave him alone.

texanboy
03-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Ya good point. Didn't think about that. Deleted thanks

texanboy
03-04-2016, 10:02 PM

"THE ADVOCATE"
03-04-2016, 10:20 PM
The pump and PD are worth purchase price at least. Plus a little for the single axle trailer. Not a bad investment. Hopefully it all works out. Your right, looks like a great project.