PDA

View Full Version : Low Slung Bimini Top

Lebeter
08-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Want to add a bimini top but many pictures I see have the canopy mounted very high which I get is nice for standing access in particular boats but that is less my concern. I want it low and more aero vs strapping a parachute to my boat like many of these look like. Anyone have pictures so that I can show a local installer to rig something up or are folks just cutting down the tubes to give them the height they want?

"THE ADVOCATE"
08-07-2015, 06:18 PM
The fabricater welder guys are just cutting them down. I will post a link about one for ya. I have never done it. Just couldn't stomach drilling more holes in the boat so no bimini. Easy up for the beach and If I get to hot out on the water just stop and swim! LOL

429CV23
08-07-2015, 06:37 PM
If you cut more than the main mounting tubes, be very careful of the angles. If they're off after you cut, you'll have saggy, flappy ..... fabric, or the fabric will be too tight and you have expensive scrap. Mine is 8' long x 54" tall and I cut it down about 4". 50" is still too tall, but it does provide good coverage. Certainly not for use while cruising. I don't even have the rear support arms attached while cruising. I did leave the arms up on the Nova II, but a heavy deep V with a 23* deadrise rides much much nicer than a jet with maybe a 15* deadrise. The arms were deflecting 3-4" side to side when I tried leaving the support arms attached on the jet.
If it doesn't mount to the windshield with snaps or a bead strip like a typical runabout, it's a parachute no matter how you slice it.

laddiepowell
08-07-2015, 09:32 PM
going to take my daytona out tomorrow it's got a short bimini or at least i think i'ts short i will get some pics with me sitting in it for ya

78_Tahiti
08-08-2015, 09:18 PM
I cut the top I acquired from a mastercraft, to fit my tahiti.

Lebeter
08-10-2015, 01:21 PM
thanks guys, yeah i'm of the same opinion advocate, don't really want more holes or mounts on the deck, i prefer the smooth look. if i did this the mounts would get painted to match so that they weren't as obvious, in some ways there is no way around it. i like yours tahiti, but i'm thinking even lower than that. i'm 6'3 but i want the top basically almost hitting my head. i'm guessing there is no off-the-shelf kit that will do it that low so this will be a custom jobber.... $$$. i'll keep browsing pics online and this forum until I find something i'm willing to put holes in the boat for.