PDA

View Full Version : 1976 sj taylor 455 olds

wickedsjtaylor
11-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi I'm new to this site. .. I've bought a 76 sj taylor with a 455 olds motor I'm in corpus christi I'm completely restoring the boat I'm need need of someone to go thru and look at my motor and don't know where to take and trust someone with my motor HELP PLEASE?????

"THE ADVOCATE"
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the site. Taylors are nice boats! If you go to the engine section on here there is a lot of great info on the olds motors. There is also some Texas guys on here that can maybe point you in the right direction for a reputable shop. I would read up on the 455's before jumping into the check book though. A little knowledge when you talk to a builder can save you a bunch of headaches in the future. Don't get scared, 455's are great motors but knowing about some problems and what your use on the boat will be is imperative before you start handing over money that can be used for paint and chrome! Keep us posted and lets see some pictures.

T8er S.
11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Welcome fellow Taylor owner. I'll poke around for you and see what I can come up with.
:1poke:

wickedsjtaylor
11-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Welcome fellow Taylor owner. I'll poke around for you and see what I can come up with.
Thank you guys. . It was a complete boat when I bought it. I redid all the wiring and could get the motor to run so I took distributor out and put a new one and found out it was 180 degrees out... then I found floor was bad and stringers so i tore the boat completely apart and start all over... lol

wickedsjtaylor
11-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Pic of boat before I route her apart

T8er S.
11-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Don McHenry 361-765-1237 he said to call him any time. I got this info from Noel Alford tell Don he sent you.
:cheers:

wickedsjtaylor
11-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you just got off the phone with Don taking motor to him in 2 weeks thank you again for the heads up..

T8er S.
11-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Thank you just got off the phone with Don taking motor to him in 2 weeks thank you again for the heads up..

Good deal.
:Orcish:

Last Mohican
11-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Congrats on the new ride. Taylors have a pretty big following. You may want to read Tim's Practical Olds article. It seems to be the go to for building a reliable Olds in a boat. I have seen it linked here but I can't find it now. If you PM me your email address I will send you a PDF copy of it.

Matt

Chad89GT
11-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Congrats on the new ride. Taylors have a pretty big following. You may want to read Tim's Practical Olds article. It seems to be the go to for building a reliable Olds in a boat. I have seen it linked here but I can't find it now. If you PM me your email address I will send you a PDF copy of it.

Matt

I'm following most of the advice from that article when it comes to oiling mods...

http://www.vintagejetboats.com/showthread.php?6963-Hot-Boat-Mag-June-2006-quot-Pratical-455-Olds-quot-build-article
(http://www.vintagejetboats.com/showthread.php?6963-Hot-Boat-Mag-June-2006-quot-Pratical-455-Olds-quot-build-article)

wickedsjtaylor
11-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Well thanks to T8er s. Got me with a guy name Don that I talk to on the phone near me that seems like he as probably forgot more than I'll ever know about 455 olds motor and he is gonna rebuild my motor. . Taking to him in a week can't wait to get the boat repainted (by me) and redo trailer get ready for spring and summer yesssssss...